SteamOS update: CAUTION!

Story: SteamOS Arrives with New NVIDIA and AMD Drivers and Better 32-bit App PerformanceTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
gus3

Jan 16, 2015
5:07 PM EDT
As already seen on Slashdot and elsewhere, moving the Steam folder exposes a bug in the updater that deletes all your files from root. Not $HOME, but from the root directory, /. That includes any backups on any mounted volumes, and also on network mounts.

Soooooo glad right now I'm not a gamer.
Ridcully

Jan 16, 2015
5:25 PM EDT
One thing I do know gus3, and it comes from my son's experiences. He drives the latest "alienware" gaming laptop with Windows on it and he positively hates, hates, hates Windows. He'd go to Ubuntu if he could, but the games he wants are not yet available on an alternative platform. So I guess in that sense, he's isolated from this bug. Just a side comment. 2c :-)
JaseP

Jan 17, 2015
1:22 AM EDT
@gus3: Thanks for that... I was actually considering moving my (hardly used) Steam directory... Won't try that now. I note from the one article, that one guy lost his entire / directory, AND a 3TB External drive... Yikes!!!
jacog

Jan 17, 2015
3:54 PM EDT
@Ridcully The bug exists on the Windows version too. It has been fixed in the beta build though, so should soon make its way to the main build.
Ridcully

Jan 17, 2015
5:14 PM EDT
Thanks jacog.....shows how very, very little I know about gaming, Steam and Windows.....However to my knowledge he is not using Steam in any way.....nevertheless, I will certainly let him know just in case.
gus3

Jan 18, 2015
1:37 PM EDT
As a former software tester, I'm actually kind of angry that they didn't catch such a rookie mistake. (Dare I say it? Yes, I'm steamed!)

Microsoft, Adobe, Sony, and now this bunch. Utterly untrustworthy, the lot of them.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!