All the technical details aren't here

Story: Uninstalling Steam for Linux Can rm -rf Your /home Folder`Total Replies: 6
Author Content
Jeff91

Jan 19, 2015
12:09 AM EDT
The bug doesn't just remove data in your home folder. It wipes all data on the drive that your current user has permission to remove.
Ridcully

Jan 19, 2015
1:19 AM EDT
I'm going to throw a very smelly dead cat into the arena......it's just something that occurred to me, and I am naive enough to ask the question: "Is this a true error, or a deliberate attempt to discredit Steam as gaming begins to shift over to Linux based software ?" Just asking and I am almost certainly seeing things where there are none......but.......
seatex

Jan 19, 2015
1:35 AM EDT
Ridcully - I was wondering the exact same thing. This seems to be more than just a bug or a QA oversight. It seems malevolent.
Jeff91

Jan 19, 2015
1:44 AM EDT
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Was likely just lazy code that wasn't tested.

~Jeff
seatex

Jan 19, 2015
1:56 AM EDT
Got Steamed?

Ridcully

Jan 19, 2015
2:15 AM EDT
Jeff91....you could of course, be right......and I am seeing "monsters" where there are none. But an "all delete error" such as this appears to be is NOT, in my books, something to be explained by sheer stupidity. Dear heavens, I am NOT a programmer or developer, but even I know that a "recursive delete all" is sheer catastrophe on a Linux drive......I hear you Jeff91.....but I remain sceptical.
CFWhitman

Jan 19, 2015
10:19 AM EDT
Also, the title of the article is misleading. This actually only happens if you try to move your Steam folder and then run Steam afterward (which symlinks would normally allow you to do with most other programs).

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!