Yes! Finally, YouTube!

Story: YouTube dumps Flash for HTML5Total Replies: 12
Author Content
seatex

Jan 28, 2015
8:52 PM EDT
Flash must DIE! And this will help with that tremendously. Oh, Happy Day! ;-)
maxxedout

Jan 29, 2015
9:45 AM EDT
I couldn't agree more! Silverlight TOO!
seatex

Jan 29, 2015
9:55 AM EDT
And .NET.
gary_newell

Jan 30, 2015
4:04 AM EDT
I'd rather you didn't get rid of .NET as that is what I do for a living.

Maybe keep it for another 15 years or so?
mbaehrlxer

Jan 31, 2015
3:17 AM EDT
won't getting rid of .net mean it will go the way of cobol? noone will learn .net anymore, but there is a lot of legacy code to be maintained. you'll be in high demand...
jimbauwens

Jan 31, 2015
5:29 AM EDT
I personally like the last iterations of .NET and wouldn't want to see it gone. Especially now that they are open sourcing it.
JaseP

Jan 31, 2015
6:20 AM EDT
Well, whatever they did,... the darn DPMS screen blanking issue came back on my KDE desktop (despite xorg configs & cron jobs turning dpms off),... Good going guys!!! Nice improvement to video on Linux desktops (not)!
cmost

Jan 31, 2015
11:15 AM EDT
Isn't it ironic that Microsoft open-sourced .Net just as Netflix finally became available on Chrome natively for we Linux users?
JaseP

Jan 31, 2015
8:47 PM EDT
No more ironic than MS rolling out an OS that features such "innovations" as (cost free) rolling updates, virtual desktops, and a package manager ...
helios

Feb 04, 2015
2:41 AM EDT
See...this is what drives me nuts. Diane loves her some Pogo.com. Problem is, every few days, they screw with the api and it breaks flash on Linux machines. Yeah, I know, I know...there are other sparkle, shiny and annoying game sites but Pogo is the one where all her friends play. I finally broke down and purchased a license of Windows 7 Home and installed it in VirtualBox. It runs fine. It just chaps my wallet and my a$$ that I had to do it.

Pogo.com will still be running flash long after it has died a fairly wide-spread death across most of the internet.
jdixon

Feb 04, 2015
4:21 AM EDT
> I finally broke down and purchased a license of Windows 7 Home and installed it in VirtualBox.

Ken, it is my understanding that there are ways of faking a Windows 7 compatible bios in a virtual machine and then using one of the OEM license keys on it. Not that I would ever condone such unethical behavior, of course.

Hmm, this thread: https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31759&star... seems to discuss the matter.
henke54

Feb 27, 2015
11:58 AM EDT
http://youtube-eng.blogspot.jp/2015/01/youtube-now-defaults-... hehe , yes finally some good news , pitty though that DRM is (again) 'included' ; http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/may/14/firefox-cl... https://w3c.github.io/encrypted-media/
linux4567

Feb 28, 2015
12:43 AM EDT
I really don't see what your problem with Flash is, it's far from perfect but so far I find that browsers with HTML5 video are even more resource hungry (especially cpu) than Flash.

On Linux PCs with Nvidia GPU Flash Video is actually really light on the Cpu as it supports VDPAU which doesn't seem to be supported yet in Firefox for HTML5.

Flash on Linux has never been a serious security concern (unlike on Windows) and has always worked well on all Linux PC's I used it on over the last 15 years or so (basically since it first became available, don't remember the year).

Remember the days before Flash became the standard Video player?

Before then us Linux users couldn't watch a lot of online video stuff as Video would be implemented with some IE only ActiveX binary, not to mention lot's of other web pages using ActiveX for all sorts of things that these days are being done with Flash. Whole web sites were completely unusable with anything other than IE.

HTML5, while theoretically a step forward, still looks like a mess, with so far even more inefficient and cpu heavy implementation than Flash, and DRM included in the standard.

Apart from that the title is plain wrong: Youtube didn't dump Flash, they only changed the default to HTML5 for recent browsers.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!