invoice apps for Linux

Story: Install Invoice Ninja on a Debian 7 VPSTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
lpbbear

Feb 02, 2015
12:39 PM EDT
While I am sure this works well once its set up its not for me. I have a small home based business and I searched around for an invoicing solution for Linux and finally, after much searching, gave up. For a while I used an older template for Corel Word Perfect that worked ok and even worked with Open Office/Libre Office but it was quite simple. I tried many other templates available for OO/LO. They did not have what I needed or did not work at all.

Everything I have found (so far) is overly complicated requiring the use of a web server and full database like Mariadb, PostgreSQL etc.

I finally found a simple Windows based invoicing app that works well with Wine. It is called "Instant Invoice". It installs as "user", records customers, auto calculates tax, saves invoices, has a built in backup, and prints out a nice looking invoice I can give to the customer.

I would rather have a Linux native solution but I have no interest in configuring a web server or dealing with database setup. Perhaps there's a solution out there someone knows about. I just haven't found it yet.
mbaehrlxer

Feb 03, 2015
1:11 AM EDT
what are your requirements? i have settled for a spreadsheet where i just type in the line items and print the result as pdf. it has only one special feature which is to calculate the sum based on tax included or not.

items are tracked separately in a task-manager application that i wrote myself and then transferred manually to the spreadsheet.

i only write invoices every other month or so, so that's good enough for me.

i have considered to print invoices directly from the task-manager, but the need is not great enough.

greetings, eMBee.
maxxedout

Feb 03, 2015
11:14 AM EDT
I'm still using MYOB, running on Wine, that I purchased back in 2001. I too have looked at a number of FOSS programs and found none that are simple to setup and use. Most, if not all, are inventory driven and I do mostly Service invoicing. Some are so restrictive they force their accounting practices on you. Very disappointed, I don't even look anymore.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!