Author Content
gus3

Feb 09, 2015
8:33 AM EDT
if ((systemd == Red Hat) && (systemd == Debian) migrate_to_slackware();
JaseP

Feb 09, 2015
9:52 AM EDT
Long Version: With so many packages being absorbed by systemd, and so many packages with dependencies on things that have been absorbed by systemd,... It's only a matter of time before you can't get commonly used things running anymore without it, if you are on a Linux environment (Think; Gnome, KDE, Gimp?!, etc.). Fortunately, for BSD users, systemd uses very specific Linux system calls (and shuns POSIX compliance), so that they simply won't, ever, be able to use systemd. The double-edged sword is that those packages that are being built to be dependent on things within systemd will be unable to run in a BSD environment. So, BSD users will need compatibility layers or alternative packages.

Short version: Switching to Slackware is a temporary fix, at best.
NoDough

Feb 09, 2015
2:32 PM EDT
gus,

You missed a paren.

Here, I have an extra... :-)
dowdle

Feb 09, 2015
5:16 PM EDT
Having awesome features in the Linux kernel, and then not being able to use them because doing so would make it less portable... translates into... why add awesome features to your kernel in the first place? The systemd developers thought that was stupid... because it is stupid.

If ZFS can be ported to Linux via an added Solaris compatibility Layer... surely BSD can figure out a systemd compatibility layer. In fact I believe that is already in the works. The BSDs already have experience with making Linux applications work on BSD so this should actually not be that different.

For Linux distros that want to offer systemd compatibility but don't want systemd to be their init system, there are probably also similar work-arounds... by having systemd libraries or shims installed. There are a number of those in various stages of development.

Feb 09, 2015
7:24 PM EDT
If a project the size of Debian could not stand up to RH, i don't think there is a chance that Slackware will do so i in the long run.

systemd is just too different, and touching/replacing too many components.

I have already seen at least one seemingly trivial project that had a dependency list of glibc and systemd...
cjcox

Feb 10, 2015
12:10 PM EDT
I like articles with less poop too. There's a lot of poop in that article... that is incorrect and/or misleading information. It's good fanboy stuff for a BSD variant nobody has heard of though.

gus3

Feb 10, 2015
12:59 PM EDT
NoDough:

D'oh!

(or would that be "Dough!"?)
JaseP

Feb 10, 2015
7:02 PM EDT
Quoting: It's good fanboy stuff for a BSD variant nobody has heard of though.

Bzzzt. Nobody has heard of PC-BSD?!?! Really?!?! If maybe the whole concept of BSD is foreign, maybe one wouldn't have heard of PC-BSD,... But PC-BSD is one of the better known FreeBSD derivatives.
NoDough

Feb 11, 2015
12:22 PM EDT
>> (or would that be "Dough!"?)

No Dough.
gus3

Feb 16, 2015
4:16 PM EDT
I just realized last night:

Shoe-horning systemd into Red Hat, Fedora, OpenSUSE, Debian, and all those SystemV-based distros, makes it

SystemVD!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!