More reasons to use Mint over Ubuntu...

Story: 5 Reasons To Use Linux Mint Over UbuntuTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
cmost

Feb 15, 2015
12:54 PM EDT
The Mint community!! Linux Mint has one of the friendliest, supportive communities of any Linux distribution.

The Mint extras! Mintupdate, Mintdesktop, Mintmenu, Mint Software Center and all of the other Mint specific tools that make using the system easy for newbies and seasoned Linux users alike.

The developer! Clem Lefebvre not only listens to users, he actively interacts with them in the forums, on his blog and in comments sections.

The consistency! Whether using Mint Cinnamon, Mint MATE, Mint XFCE, Mint LXDE or Mint LMDE the experience is familiar, polished and consistent and geared with a desktop paradigm familiar to Windows refugees or long-time Linux users alike. And of course everything is easily customizable to the Nth degree to account for personal tastes. This choice and consistency enables users to take advantage of bleeding edge hardware, or breathe new life into an older PC.

The stability! With the recent switch to LTS releases as a rock solid base for all Mint releases and Debian Stable for LMDE users can count on security patches for five years and a stable, trouble-free desktop.
Steven_Rosenber

Feb 15, 2015
7:11 PM EDT
How are in-place upgrades going in Mint these days?
cmost

Feb 15, 2015
8:55 PM EDT
Hi Steven_Rosenber

Well, so far so good! I've been on Mint MATE 17 (now 17.1) for awhile now and nothing has been borked yet! LOL! I think Mint's approach to base each major release on the latest LTS version is a good one. Most users value stability over bleeding edge anyway, at lest IMHO. I have a few PPAs installed for software that I like to keep at bleeding edge so it's a good compromise.
Steven_Rosenber

Feb 16, 2015
1:57 PM EDT
I think the Ubuntu LTS is only going to become more popular both as a base and as a distribution itself.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!