Another solution

Story: Pro tip: Take back control of resolv.confTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
kikinovak

May 11, 2015
3:21 AM EDT
If you're tired to play hide-and-seek with your configuration files, just use Slackware. A distribution that doesn't follow every stupid new trend.
jdixon

May 11, 2015
5:06 AM EDT
Agreed. In fact, I'm pretty sure the default configuration of dnsmasq with Slackware doesn't overwrite the resolv.conf file, but instead uses it to determine what nameservers to pass to the machines requesting ip addresses.

Now, if you use wicked or network manager, that's another matter.
cybertao

May 11, 2015
7:19 AM EDT
Learning to use dnsmasq is a better solution. It was putting the localhost address in resolve.conf so dnsmasq would act as a dns cache. Just put the wanted DNS server addresses in dnsmasq.conf, or uninstall it completely if you aren't going to make use of it. It doesn't even make sense to blame dnsmasq when most distributions have a network manager that automatically put DNS numbers for connections served via DHCP in resolv.conf.

Jack is a rube.
kikinovak

May 11, 2015
5:43 PM EDT
Here's everything you want to know about Dnsmasq configuration under Slackware.

https://kikinovak.wordpress.com/2015/04/24/mettre-en-place-u...
jdixon

May 11, 2015
8:02 PM EDT
> Here's everything you want to know about Dnsmasq configuration under Slackware.

I think I had to change all of five lines in the configuration file to get things working, The only one that took any effort was telling dnsmasq that the machine it was running on wasn't the gateway. The rest were obvious given the configuration comments in the file.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!