Naive

Story: Linux Distro: Your Best Choice?Total Replies: 0
Author Content
penguinist

Aug 05, 2015
11:47 AM EDT
This author is either hiding in a closet, or is a bit naive in his classifications of Linux users. To paraphrase, he groups us into three parts:

1. Older OS holdouts

2. Trainees

3. Hobbyists

Umm, sorry Matt Hartley, I've enjoyed some of your previous articles but you really missed the point on this one. You missed some big and important groups like:

4. Scientists and researchers: don't forget that the 500 largest computers in the world run on Linux, and there are reasons behind this OS choice. You should also notice that most major universities cultivate this group by providing their PhD candidates with Linux cluster computing environments to work with.

5. Small business owners: I am in frequent contact with small business owners who insist on maintaining control of their business and their business's data.

6. Everyday users: yes it is true that most people just follow the pack without thinking, but there are a goodly number of independent thinkers who are tired of the virus rat race, the vendor lock-in tricks, and the invasion of personal privacy.

And what's this about "old OS holdouts". Sheesh Matt, that sounds like a biased "sound bite" if I ever heard one. Face it, once a user crosses the bridge and experiences first hand the freedom and flexibility that Linux brings, will that user want to go back? I seriously doubt it. So you might call this person a "holdout", but I think in reality you should relabel this group as "Enlightened OS users".

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!