F23 alpha first impressions

Story: Announcing the release of Fedora 23 Alpha!Total Replies: 5
Author Content
penguinist

Aug 11, 2015
10:23 AM EDT
I downloaded the XFCE livedisk for this F23 Alpha and fired it up on my notebook. It looked so solid that I actually went ahead and installed it. (Of course I first made a fresh dd image of my /dev/sda in case I need to roll back.)

This is the most solid Fedora Alpha I've ever seen! I've only seen two minor cosmetic issues with it so far. I'm going to play with it for a while installing and using all my stuff.

I can see that there is one downside to life in the Alpha-world: rpmfusion for F23 isn't planned for another month, so there will be no vlc video player and no mp3 audio support until then. I can live with that.
seatex

Aug 11, 2015
10:53 AM EDT
I couldn't live without the VLC/mp3 support, but it sounds pretty good, P.

Hope you don't get any update breakages.
penguinist

Aug 11, 2015
12:14 PM EDT
I haven't had the courage to update yet. I think I'll stay with "stock F23 Alpha" for a little while.

Did you notice that there is a "Cinnamon Spin" in the iso list? That might be interesting to check out.
penguinist

Aug 12, 2015
10:26 AM EDT
seatex: you were right about update breakages. :)

I rolled back to my trusty F22 dd image this morning. F23 is correctly labeled as Alpha, a very good Alpha, but still an Alpha. I'll be back to try F23 again when it's a Beta.

The issue was that after several installations and an update, Firefox stopped recognizing its flash plugin. Unfortunately that's a killer issue for me since I'm relying on flash for viewing some online lectures I'm following.

In all fairness this was most likely not a problem with Fedora itself but some interaction that the Adobe plugin failed to comprehend...
seatex

Aug 12, 2015
11:49 AM EDT
Yeah, that's been my experience with alphas as well, P. I wait for betas these days, and only if there's some new feature or something I just can't wait to try out.
Steven_Rosenber

Aug 12, 2015
7:30 PM EDT
I need RPM Fusion too badly to go for the prereleases. Fedora is so forward looking anyway, you're still on the edge, even with an "old" release.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!