You were taken by surprise, how?

Story: Netflix trailers mean ads are coming eventuallyTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
notbob

Aug 13, 2015
7:17 PM EDT
Am I surprised. Not in the least. The only positive thing I have to say about Netflix caving is, I'm dead tired of all yer --streaming AND DVDs-- movies and am about to cancel, anyway.

The really bad news is, I'm seeing more TV fare, and in Spanish!!! I'm paying to stream Mexican tripe, which is even worse than US tripe?

It's so bad, I rarely order DVDs, anymore. Netflix is no longer even stocking them. Remember She Wore A Yellow Ribbon? The Ford/Wayne classic w/ Maureen? The best of the Ford US Calvary trilogy? Nada!! Can't get it. On streaming or DVD. Say what!!??

The rest of the streaming offerings are pitiful. It's all TV stuff or straight-to-video junk.

penguinist

Aug 13, 2015
8:46 PM EDT
Freedom from ads is one of the things I really enjoy about IP TV. I still have an antenna and can in theory pick up high def broadcast television but I do that maybe once or twice a year (Presidential debates anyone).

That's enough for me to see how the "other half" lives with a constant bombardment of subliminal manipulations. I can do without that. For what it's worth, I am a Netflix streaming subscriber, but I also enjoy other alternatives like Amazon Prime and dare I mention usenet?

I'm happy to pay Netflix for the service but for me it needs to remain ad free or I really am gone. I won't accept ads on a paid service. Competition is a great thing, if Netflix goes to ads, there will be alternatives emerging for us to choose from.

P.S. -- Hey notbob, what do you have against international language programming? It's not like the amount of English content is diminished by the addition of other-language content. I speak three languages well and a fourth so-so, and I've been dismayed by the lack of international programming in the languages of my choice. It's really a contrast if you go to Europe and see the richness and variety of language choices in their programming offerings.
jdixon

Aug 14, 2015
7:16 AM EDT
> Remember She Wore A Yellow Ribbon?

https://thepiratebay.la/torrent/6533477/John_Wayne_-_She_Wor... %5B1949%5D

Yeah, it's pretty bad when you have to resort to BitTorrent to find a movie. But that's the world we live in.
seatex

Aug 14, 2015
8:18 AM EDT
Netflix becomes Hulu.
CFWhitman

Aug 14, 2015
9:34 AM EDT
If Netflix starts playing ads, I will most likely cancel my subscription.
seatex

Aug 14, 2015
9:43 AM EDT
It wouldn't be the first time they've angered their customers.

From 2011....

"I messed up," Netflix CEO says

Netflix Co-founder and CEO Reed Hastings made a public apology in his blog Sunday after a customer outburst against a hike in prices.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/BUSINESS/09/19/netflix.ceo.apolo...
maxxedout

Aug 15, 2015
2:06 PM EDT
I remember when cable was first available it was Ad free. How long did that last??
caitlyn

Aug 15, 2015
2:55 PM EDT
Amazon Prime has a decent selection with a wider variety than Netflix. When I first had Netflix I loved the amount of Israeli content I could choose. They had all the mainstream stuff but lots of niche stuff as well. The niche content has all but disappeared, including the Israeli films. I finally dropped my subscription.
JaseP

Aug 15, 2015
8:17 PM EDT
While Netflix is becoming Hulu,... Hulu is becoming Amazon Prime video... Hulu stopped working in the Chrome browser in Linux in the last few days. Now,... the only option for using it is the lackluster performance of Hulu in Firefox, with a "dummy" Hal installed (because Flash requires Hal). This is the work-around that was necessary under Amazon Prime...

This,... and I was on a kind of a high because Hulu has started showing the series 8 Doctor Who. Then,... BLAMO!,... Hulu stops working in my preferred browser.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!