Slow or biased?

Story: What's the biggest barrier to participation in open source?Total Replies: 2
Author Content
theBeez

Aug 18, 2015
8:16 AM EDT
Personally, I never had much problems to enter FOSS back in 1995. I was part of comp.lang.forth and people were just too eager to help me. Taygeta offered me space for distributing my packages. Any errors were quickly noticed and reported - allowing me to adjust to these "culture driven", implicit standards. I was offered a mailinglist - which I took. So I can't say I found too many obstacles. Once the decision "to go FOSS" was made, the rest came - no problem. I have an email box to prove it.

Either this view is not too popular at "opensource.com" or they are quite slow to update their comments.
theBeez

Aug 18, 2015
9:44 AM EDT
Ok, verdict is out: it is slow ;-)
penguinist

Aug 18, 2015
10:01 AM EDT
I see one barrier to contributing to FOSS and that is time.

I don't know about you, but my todo list is typically twice as long as the time I have available to handle. Maybe I need to start working faster (or stop adding things to that danged todo list). Anyway, I feel some amount of guilt from time to time about not contributing more to FOSS than I am.

At a minimum, I do try to do a good job of feeding back test results and problem reports when I encounter issues with FOSS software. That doesn't take a lot of time, and maybe it helps those who do have the time to get focused in on the issues more quickly and efficiently.

I should say that I've encountered no barriers at all originating from the FOSS project side. Whenever I've wanted to contribute to a project I've always found the project to be welcoming and helpful. I think that part of it is a result of the courtesy that you bring to the communication process. If someone comes into a FOSS project like a bull in the china shop they are likely to meet with "barriers" but if you communicate with a project's community with respect and courtesy then that's what you will likely get in return. At least that has been my experience.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!