I never see any mention of privacy implications

Story: New Chromecast devices target HDTVs and sound systemsTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
BernardSwiss

Sep 30, 2015
8:04 PM EDT
Even though these Chromecast devices are Google products.

Is anybody up on that?
penguinist

Sep 30, 2015
8:23 PM EDT
I personally would be very concerned about the privacy implications of closed media servers. Any device that transmits home with an encrypted connection gets booted off my system. I won't stand for it.

My solution to media center is to use a Raspberry Pi custom configured and fully open.
JaseP

Oct 01, 2015
4:03 PM EDT
I'm thinking of replacing my HTPC/home server with an array of Raspberry PIs. I was disappointed that my OUYA can't properly run the Android streaming app I run (Hulu). Nowadays, a few properly configured Raspberry PIs can do the jobs of file server, print server, HTPC, Home Automation server and VOIP/Communication server. Originally, my HTPC/Server ran MythTV,... but that is useless now that I do not maintain a cable subscription nor can I get any over-the-air transmissions (of any kind; TV, radio, cell service) where I am located. I don't really miss TV (good thing I'm not a big sports fan).

Chromecast was a consideration, but I understand it pretty much needs to talk to another device (phone, tablet, etc.) to do anything useful. Apparently, it doesn't really run native apps directly (I could be wrong about this).
cybertao

Oct 01, 2015
4:57 PM EDT
Chromecast doesn't have much in the way of an interface. On setup you have to connect to its WiFi broadcast and configure it to connect to your local WiFi. To boot into a functional state that network has to have Internet access (Internet is required on every boot). From there you don't have an interactive, on-screen interface. The Chromecast natively supports a few services such as YouTube and Netflix, where you cue up what you want to watch in an app on a phone, tablet, or from the Chrome browser. The streaming of your content is then taken over by Chromecast and the device acts as a remote control. It's possible to cast a browser tab or device screen, but the quality is limited.

All in all, the Chromecast isn't an HTPC replacement (it won't even act as a DLNA client). It's to give dumb TVs some of the functionality of smart TVs. For the price and ease of use it does that well, but it is orientated for services.
CFWhitman

Oct 02, 2015
9:26 AM EDT
Yes, cybertao pretty much summed it up. The only thing I would add is to confirm that I am able to start streams on a Chromecast from Chrome or Chromium running on a Linux laptop. My usage of it has been mostly limited to Netflix and a couple of other sites that support streaming video to the Chromecast. I use my Raspberry Pi 2 and Cubox-i devices connected to my TVs more.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!