Just do it.
telanoc

Oct 06, 2015
6:14 PM EDT
I believe you nailed it!
penguinist

Oct 06, 2015
6:52 PM EDT
Yesterday I tried to help a colleague dual boot his brand new Asus Win10 notebook, but his bios (uefi) seemed to be locked. The keystroke that, according to the Asus manual, is supposed to bring up a usb boot selection seemed to be unresponsive. I suggested he phone Asus tech support to ask what's up.

Who knows how many people are stymied by stumbling blocks like this. If you have never been exposed to Linux, the process could be daunting especially if you don't have an experienced helping hand watching over your shoulder.
DrGeoffrey

Oct 06, 2015
7:03 PM EDT
It is sooooooo much easier to drop Windows much like the trash it really is, and switch entirely over to Linux. But, as was noted once in a 1980s sitcom,

"That's the trouble with garbage, someone's always trying to recycle it."
dinotrac

Oct 06, 2015
9:14 PM EDT
Last year I made a reverse trip: From using Linux as my primary workstation (and desktop) for 15 years, to a Macbook Pro.

The Mac is nice. Very nice -- and well should be, given the price, but...

Boy!! It was a whole lot easier to work with different windows and workspaces in my XFCE desktop, not to mention my Mint machine.

Which, by the way, brings us to something else pretty nice about Linux: the user interface is selectable. Get the one you want. Get the one that suits your needs.

I have a Mint VM I bring up from time to time, as well as Windows 7. Fortunately, the Mac is pretty nice overall and I can just stay there on the front-end, or dive into the Unix back-end, so I really only need Linux when I am replicating a server setup, but...I do feel pangs now and then.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!