Lots...

Story: How many tabs do you keep open in your browser?Total Replies: 4
Author Content
rnturn

Oct 13, 2015
12:47 AM EDT
...spread across multiple Firefox windows. I think the highest tab count I recall seeing was in the 100-110 range. Special case, that was. I don't have anywhere near that many opened simultaneously now. On a very busy day when I'm researching several things during the day I might have 40-50 opened at a time during "peak" times. (Mostly because of vendors who insist on documenting their product using poorly structured wikis.)
notbob

Oct 13, 2015
10:30 AM EDT
Personally, I dislike tabs on browsers. What are tabs, but jes another browser developer's wet-dream.

Seriously, what do tabs provide? Nothing that another browser window can't supply. I never use tabs and am annoyed that I hafta choose between two competing formats. When I wanna new window and am on a mouse, I hafta choose between New > "open window" and "open tab". Worse, tabs have been given preference. I now hafta skip over "tab" to get to "window" and if I don't want tabs,overrunning my browser, I hafta go into settings to overcome tab preferences that have been set as default.

Plus, browser bugs often open unwanted tabs that I never requested and I then hafta take time to deal with them. I very rarely get windows I neither need nor want.

I suspect tabs are GUI centric, while windows are CLI centric. Since I prefer the keyboard, I also prefer windows. In short, I don't do browser tabs!
jdixon

Oct 13, 2015
12:49 PM EDT
> Personally, I dislike tabs on browsers.

I find them extremely useful for keeping associated pages within a single window. For example, if I'm searching for the solution to a computer problem, I do a search on the symptoms in a new windows and then open the relevant links in tabs within that same window. Ditto if I'm searching for an item I want to buy and want to compare prices. Multiple windows with the different search results gets confusing and hard to keep track of. And in some cases I may want to leave those searches open for a day or more until I have time to follow up on the matter.
AwesomeTux

Oct 13, 2015
1:12 PM EDT
Boy do people sometimes use computers differently than me...

For me the whole idea of "15 tabs or more" sounds like ADHD. If you open a tab, use it then close it. Don't just go on and on opening tabs that you aren't going to use immediately. I know someone who has said "sometimes I can't read all the tabs I have open before I have to turn in for the night"... ridiculous. About the only time I open multiple tabs is when I want the page I'll be using next to load while I use the current page.

To each their own, though, I suppose.
mbaehrlxer

Oct 13, 2015
2:51 PM EDT
i am using tabs as a replacement for bookmarks.

why? because bookmarks can't be updated. that makes no sense at all. when you read a book, you use a bookmark to remember where you stopped reading. as you continue to read, you MOVE the bookmark to the new location. you don't glue it in, and rip it out, and then glue in a new one. that's what browser bookmarks make me do.

if i use bookmarks to remember where i am reading, i have to create new bookmarks and delete the old ones, every time i move forward.

just not practical. (ok there are some extensions that help with that to a degree)

enter tabs: i open a tab to read something. as i continue reading, say, a webcomic, or an interesting weblog where i want to read every story, or research where i keep track of a few things temporarily, tabs will always track where i am at, and keep doing that as i move forward.

the only downside is, that they need a lot of memory. my firefox instances clock in at 1.5-2GB or ram usage, and that's right after the start where all tabs except one per window are not even loaded.

greetings, eMBee.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!