More Win 10

Story: How Microsoft will cram Windows 10 even harder down your PC's throat early next yearTotal Replies: 12
Author Content
BernardSwiss

Oct 30, 2015
9:12 PM EDT
Ars Technica: Windows 10 will be made an automatic “recommended” update early next year

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/10/window...
jdixon

Oct 31, 2015
3:58 AM EDT
They're behind the curve. The installer has already downloaded to anyone who has automatic updates turned on. It downloaded and installed on my single Windows 7 machine (used for compatibility with work) and downloaded the full Windows 10 update (over 6 GB) to my machine without asking me. I've removed the update, hidden it, removed the Windows 10 files, and turned off automatic updates to keep it from happening again.
Ridcully

Oct 31, 2015
5:24 AM EDT
As far as I am concerned, Win7 will remain my Windows installation for those rare, very rare occasions where I want to use Redmond software. Compared with Win7, Win8 and Win8.1 are disasters.......I cannot see Win10 as being any different.
the_doctor

Oct 31, 2015
12:54 PM EDT
Yep. And it feels just like this.
NoDough

Nov 02, 2015
1:48 PM EDT
I've placed the following line in my network startup scripts. It runs on my Windows domain computers when the computer is booted up.

@reg ADD "HKLMSOFTWAREPoliciesMicrosoftWindowsGwx" /v "DisableGwx" /t REG_DWORD /d 00000001 /f

It disables the Get Windows 10 app.
JaseP

Nov 02, 2015
2:47 PM EDT
I disabled the Win10 update by wiping the HD and installing Kubuntu 14.04...
penguinist

Nov 02, 2015
3:10 PM EDT
+1 JaseP

It felt so good to leave the Microsoft "cat and mouse game" years ago. Ahh the Freedom...
JaseP

Nov 02, 2015
4:42 PM EDT
I had dumped Microsoft in 2001 or 2002,... I recently had to get a machine with Windows for a Comp. Sci. BS degree program I recently completed (Oregon State,... a nice program if you already know how to code)... Got the degree,... HD wiped,... Linux installed... Once again Windows free... Yay!
penguinist

Nov 02, 2015
5:10 PM EDT
That's interesting JaseP and congrats on the degree.

I've been working on a Masters Mathematics and am nearly finished (ABT -- all but thesis). The interesting thing is that I let it be known that I would rather switch schools than submit to the use of Windows. The profs have been great all in all. Most prefer pdf/latex documents so that's actually better supported in Linux than in Windows, and all of the campus web sites are multi-platform friendly.

Two of the profs also are especially Linux-friendly so I've actually been drafted to give some intro Linux lectures to students getting ready to use the campus computing clusters (they run CentOS).

<staying Windows free>
gary_newell

Nov 03, 2015
6:25 PM EDT
I am going to buck the trend here. Windows 10 isn't bad. It is definitely a step forward from Windows 8.1 and it has more features than Windows 7.

Ironically I only ever use Windows to create guides to show people using Windows how to create a Linux USB drive. Other than that I use whichever distribution I happen to be reviewing which probably unsurprisingly at the moment is Ubuntu 15.10.

Given the choice between Windows 7, 8 and 10 I would probably be happiest using Windows 10 now. It is much easiest to find stuff. The search bar is much more powerful than it used to be and Windows 10 now has virtual workspaces.
jdixon

Nov 03, 2015
9:49 PM EDT
> ...and it has more features than Windows 7.

I'm using it a work. It's also, at the moment, more unstable than Windows 7. And some of those "features" aren't really things most people would want.

But yes, it's a big improvement of Windows 8 and 8.1.
NoDough

Nov 04, 2015
2:05 PM EDT
penguinist wrote:It felt so good to leave the Microsoft "cat and mouse game" years ago. Ahh the Freedom...

Yeah, I run Linux as my working OS, but run Windows in VMs.

Unfortunately, I'm supporting 150 PCs which must run our ERP software (Windows only), our estimating software (Windows only), our CAD/BIM software (Windows only), our asset management software (Windows only), our tool tracking software (Windows only), and our manufacturing automation software (Windows only).

So we don't get to decide which OS we run. Our software vendors have decided for us.
jdixon

Nov 04, 2015
2:32 PM EDT
> So we don't get to decide which OS we run. Our software vendors have decided for us.

Welcome to the club. :( That's the case for a lot of businesses and a lot of business software.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!