For Dedicated Terminal Afficionados...

Story: Alpine Linux 3.3.0 Is a Distro for People Who Love the TerminalTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
vainrveenr

Dec 20, 2015
11:16 PM EDT
There is also Finnix, http://www.finnix.org/ :
Quoting:Finnix

Finnix, the LiveCD for system administrators

Finnix is a self-contained, bootable Linux CD distribution ("LiveCD") for system administrators, based on Debian. You can mount and manipulate hard drives and partitions, monitor networks, rebuild boot records, install other operating systems, and much more. Finnix includes the latest technology for system administrators, with Linux kernel 3.0, x86 and PowerPC support, hundreds of sysadmin-geared packages, and much more. And above all, Finnix is small; currently the entire distribution is over 400MiB, but is dynamically compressed into a small bootable image. Finnix is not intended for the average desktop user, and does not include any desktops, productivity tools, or sound support, in order to keep distribution size low.

Finnix 111 is available for x86/AMD64, PowerPC and ARM(armhf) architectures, and its download ISO sizes are 160MB or less.

cybertao

Dec 21, 2015
12:20 AM EDT
I'll be sure to check that out.

Alpine is a different beast because of the C library and system binaries it uses. I had an old laptop setup as a server (NFS, CUPS, DLNA, DNS/DHCP, etc...everything I could throw at it), and was very impressed by the speed/resource use, stability, and ease of use compared to Arch that I had previously been using. The range of packages available and reasonable default configurations is outstanding.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!