Ads I can agree with

Story: Forbes, ad blockers and malwareTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
dotmatrix

Jan 09, 2016
1:27 PM EDT
Finally someone 'out-there' in 'publish thoughts and articles land' has a good handle on how to handle ads.

Hopefully there are more Jim Lynch people 'out-there'
BernardSwiss

Jan 09, 2016
7:11 PM EDT
I don't block ads, per se. (DoubleClick excepted, of course).

I do (via Ghostery) block beacons, trackers, analytics, and the majority of widgets (yes, including Facebook's). I also use Flashblock, so as to control the assault of automatic-play videos and sound files.

But the ads themselves, I generally don't block; I'm willing to concede that, aside from a few sites I find worth supporting with an actual, paid subscription, the Ads Pay The Freight, so I allow the ads -- yet somehow, blocking all the snooping blocks most of the ads as well.

Well, I'm OK with that -- if they're more interested in spying on me than in actually showing me those oh-so-important advertisements, that's up to them.
jdixon

Jan 10, 2016
3:07 AM EDT
I browse with NoScript enabled. In addition to ads, far too many sites require that you accept scripts from a positive host of sites in order to view their content. In general, if I have to enable scripts on anything but the main site, I don't bother.
JaseP

Jan 10, 2016
8:07 AM EDT
I block ads (Ad Block Plus) and proudly... The minute you don't, your browser can be locked up just by clicking on a movie review article... No thanks.

If the content providers can't prevent their advertisers from attacking consumers with ads that rob their machines of their processing power and otherwise steal their bandwidth to deliver videos, etc. ... I have absolutely no sympathy for them for losing revenue.
cybertao

Jan 10, 2016
8:28 AM EDT
...as long as you make exceptions to support certain sites such as lxer. :). Who are very considerate for the amount of screen space and bandwidth the single ad takes up.

When I see ghostery and adblock with really high numbers I also ponder if the content on the site is worth while when they devalue their readers so much. Since Forbes started their adblock detection I haven't read one of their articles - when I stumble into their net from a news feed, I close the window and move on to the next source.

I recently moved and had issues connecting broadband so was limited to tethering my smartphone. As I'm a miser and and the service was slow I disabled images in my browser. What a refreshing, liberating experience that was! Some sites were difficult to work with, but the important ones with valuable content were highly usable.
seatex

Jan 10, 2016
10:01 AM EDT
> I browse with NoScript enabled. In addition to ads, far too many sites require that you accept scripts from a positive host of sites in order to view their content. In general, if I have to enable scripts on anything but the main site, I don't bother.

NoScript is the first extension I add to a browser. Love it!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!