Big Story of the Today, must comment

Story: What a Linux User Misses From WindowsTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
dotmatrix

Jan 19, 2016
10:46 PM EDT
I miss exactly zero things from Windows.

In fact, I feel lost and constricted when forced to use a Windows machine.

I don't miss the 'missing' software... errr... adware...

I don't miss the conflicting driver installation cleanup mess.

I don't miss searching the web for drivers upon a 'clean' install of Windows.

I don't miss trying to write a well formatted WYSIWYG document without paying someone for something or trying to search the clueless bottomless pit of Windows help forums directing people to random 'non-MS office suites' which are really adware.

I don't miss scanning my machine every 2 hours for viruses.

I don't miss pretty much anything from MS Windows or the entire 'ecosystem'
cybertao

Jan 20, 2016
3:22 AM EDT
Agreed. I don't miss the dependency on proprietary vendors at all. Now if only I didn't have to depend on Broadcom for my WiFi driver, I'd be a very happy man.
gary_newell

Jan 20, 2016
6:38 PM EDT
I don't miss the message box that says your computer will reboot in 60 seconds to install updates or the bit where you really need to print out those train tickets or concert tickets in a hurry and the computer says:

"Installing update 1 of 468"
jdixon

Jan 20, 2016
8:13 PM EDT
> "Installing update 1 of 468"

the most recent factory refresh I did for Windows 7 required 207 updates on the first pass, so that's not much of an exaggeration.
seatex

Jan 20, 2016
8:49 PM EDT
> the most recent factory refresh I did for Windows 7 required 207 updates on the first pass, so that's not much of an exaggeration.

And that was just the first pass, Win7 is 6.5 years old now, so there's about 77 months of those updates on a fresh install now.

Linux LTS releases get better support - not security updates. And you don't have to wait a month or longer to get a critical security update.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!