so let it be written

Story: Linux Foundation Sells Out, Brave New Browser & More...Total Replies: 1
Author Content
dotmatrix

Jan 23, 2016
11:06 AM EDT
Oops! Forgot the "title" ... so let it be written, so let it be Untitled.

FOSS Force wrote:Although it’s being touted as an ad-blocking browser, that isn’t quite true, as the developers are quite aware of the fact that many sites, especially news sites, depend on advertising revenue to keep the bills paid.

There also seems to be an option to pay the Brave Software Inc to avoid ads or somehow transfer some 'points' from an ad-funded 'well' so the user can browser a few favorite sites without ads. So far, I like what I see with the Brave browser. It seems likely that Brave browser ads may be more like newspaper ads -- and I would be more than willing to accept those... i.e. no tracking, no flash, no perm cookies, etc.

FOSS Force wrote:Instead, the browser will act as something of a gateway, watching browsing history, then fitting the user into a standardized advertising segment which it will provide to websites and advertisers, a service that the developers say will be paid for by advertisers.

vs. Brave Intro:

https://brave.com/#about

Brave wrote:We will target ads based on browser-side intent signals phrased in a standard vocabulary, and without a persistent user id or highly re-identifiable cookie.

The browser sees everything you do, including actions to stop that annoying phenomenon of retargeting where an ad chases you around the Web, often for something you just bought or decided not to buy. We keep user data out of our cloud Brave Vault by default. It’s better for you and us that we don’t store any of your data without your permission.
jdixon

Jan 23, 2016
12:54 PM EDT
It's a new approach. We'll have to see how it works in practice. I've signed up to beta test.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!