This Board Looks Great!

Story: Jaguar Board is an x86 based Single Board ComputerTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
dotmatrix

Jan 24, 2016
6:12 PM EDT
It's priced about right. It looks like it has on-board persistent memory for loading an OS, which may make it run a lot faster than the Raspberry Pi. And it's not ARM based, so programming should be nice and easy.

I think I'm going to have get this new toy for my collection... errr... I mean... experimental general computing platform with GPIO.
penguinist

Jan 24, 2016
6:54 PM EDT
I looked at that too when it first came out and almost bought one. The killer for me, though, is that it doesn't support 4K video on its hdmi port. I'm patiently waiting for a raspberry pi (or lookalike) that will allow me to upgrade my media center to 2160p. Still looking, still waiting...
gus3

Jan 25, 2016
2:44 PM EDT
Um, programming the ARM is just as easy as programming the x86. A general C program that works on one, works on the other. Same goes for MIPS, SPARC, Z-8000, 68000, OpenRISC....

What one of them can calculate, they can all calculate, because they are all Turing-equivalent.

(If that isn't weird enough for you, consider this: not only are the languages Lisp and Forth also equivalent, it turns out they are trivially equivalent. A common undergrad programming assignment is to write translators between Lisp and Forth. *boggle*)
mbaehrlxer

Jan 26, 2016
12:59 AM EDT
it's more like that lisp and forth both have such a minimalistic syntax that you can easily write an interpreter for each in any language.

but yes, most languages are very similar to each other, it's all about functions, datastructures, operators (or not), and the rest is just syntax.

greetings, eMBee.
BernardSwiss

Jan 26, 2016
1:07 AM EDT
I smell a potentially interesting article in this thread (one that would be of great interest to a dilettante such as myself, -- and presumably to more competent readers, as well).

gus3

Jan 27, 2016
2:10 PM EDT
It's already been written.

Be warned, it's a long and sometimes dense read.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!