I passed

Story: Take Our Quiz: Check Your Knowledge on Linux DistrosTotal Replies: 20
Author Content
seatex

Jan 24, 2016
8:48 PM EDT
I got 14 out of 18 for 77.78%. Lower than I thought I did, but I learned something.
claudecat

Jan 24, 2016
11:44 PM EDT
I got all 18. I may need to get a life. Is there a 12-step program for distro-hoppers?
mbaehrlxer

Jan 25, 2016
3:49 AM EDT
not 12 but 18 steps: you repeat the 18 questions of the survey until you no longer care...

greetings, eMBee.
jdixon

Jan 25, 2016
11:13 AM EDT
15 of 18. I'm not very good on penetration or Mandrake derived distros.
flufferbeer

Jan 25, 2016
12:08 PM EDT
An "A" myself w/ only one mistake, but this Linux Distros Quiz completely left out ALL the Linux LIVECD distros. For example Linuxcare's LNX-BBC (going way way back), Knoppix, Damn Small Linux, SimpleMEPIS, Puppy Linux, SystemRescueCD, Slax,...etc. Don't remember what LNX-BBC and MEPIS were based on, but Puppy Linux has ALWAYS been a distro entity by itself.

IIRC, Knoppix and DSL are/were both based on Debian, SysResCD was/is based on Gentoo (passing mention of Genoo in one of this quiz's Q's), and Slax has always been based on Slackware.

2c
number6x

Jan 25, 2016
1:46 PM EDT
17/18

Wasn't familiar with Manjaro.

I guess I'll have to look into it.
claudecat

Jan 25, 2016
2:03 PM EDT
Answering some implied questions (snowed in, boredom...)

Mepis was Debian-based. It was one of the easiest to install distros for a while, a fine and stable effort. I see mention of Mepis packages (I guess they still maintain a repo) on the Debian forums, so maybe this one rises from the ashes someday. I think the head guy was named Warren...

Manjaro is for me the most intriguing newer distro on the scene. Arch-based, but with their own repos, ostensibly for stability. Easy install, user-friendly tools, great artwork, friendly and helpful community... It's like the Mint of the Arch landscape.
gary_newell

Jan 25, 2016
6:39 PM EDT
14/18 got a mixture wrong. n'ye
mbaehrlxer

Jan 26, 2016
1:01 AM EDT
flufferbeer: complaining about a quiz like that shows that you are suffering from linux addiction to the highest order.

please seek help immediately!

greetings, eMBee.
Fettoosh

Jan 26, 2016
11:56 AM EDT
I got 16/18 (88.88%) myself and I have never used any but Suse first and Kubuntu since Novell bought Suse.

caitlynm

Jan 27, 2016
4:01 PM EDT
17 out of 18. The fact that I used to write for DistroWatch may have something to do with that.
gus3

Jan 27, 2016
6:18 PM EDT
14/18.

Which one did you miss, caitlynm?
caitlynm

Jan 27, 2016
7:29 PM EDT
Believe it or not, Fedora. It's the way they worded the question. Red Hat never discontinued the desktop version. They just renamed the community version.
jdixon

Jan 27, 2016
7:49 PM EDT
> Red Hat never discontinued the desktop version. They just renamed the community version.

I thought there was about a six month gap between the discontinuing of Red Hat Linux and the creation of Fedora?
caitlynm

Jan 27, 2016
11:25 PM EDT
Not that I remember, no. I could be wrong but I don't think so.
flufferbeer

Jan 27, 2016
11:45 PM EDT
@jdixon

> I thought there was about a six month gap between the discontinuing of Red Hat Linux and the creation of Fedora?

IIRC, the last remaining NON-enterprise version of Red Hat Linux was RH9 "Shrike". i do remember quite clearly that the first ALL-COMMUNITY version of Fedora was actually called Fedora Core 1, soon to be followed by Fedora Core 2 "Tettnang". Could turn out to be that FC1 came just after RH9 or simulaneous with it.

2 more c's
jdixon

Jan 28, 2016
9:29 AM EDT
> IIRC, the last remaining NON-enterprise version of Red Hat Linux was RH9...

Correct. Here's a chart from Red Hat with some relevant dates, but it doesn't make clear when the announcements of the discontinuation of Red Hat Linux and the start of Fedora were: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/History_of_Red_Hat_Linux

My memory tells me that the discontinuation of Red Hat Linux was very shortly after the release of Red Hat 9, but that was almost 13 years ago, and it may not be reliable.

The dates we do have are that Red Hat Linux 9.0 came out March 31, 2003 and the Fedora announcement came on Sept 25, 2003.
penguinist

Jan 28, 2016
10:30 AM EDT
My recollection of this was that it was just a renaming event, not a discontinuation and a fresh start. RH9 was released as one version and then the next version came out labeled Fedora Core 1.
jdixon

Jan 28, 2016
10:38 AM EDT
> My recollection of this was that it was just a renaming event, not a discontinuation and a fresh start. RH9 was released as one version and then the next version came out labeled Fedora Core 1.

Essentially, yes. But that wasn't clear from the outside, My memory says there were quite a bit of confusion as to how Red Hat was going to handle things before the Fedora announcement came out.
kikinovak

Jan 29, 2016
8:27 AM EDT
17/18. Never owned a smartphone. :o)
CFWhitman

Jan 29, 2016
2:26 PM EDT
I got 17/18, but what really gets me is that the one I missed should not have been the hardest for me to answer.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!