How long is this gonna last?

Story: Controversy at the Linux FoundationTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
notbob

Jan 29, 2016
3:29 PM EDT
> it's worth noting that the Linux kernel remains free. It doesn't "belong" to the foundation.

The Linux frog has been moved to the pan of cold water on TLF's stove.

What do you think the change in by-laws was about? Is there anyone, here, who actually believes big corporations are "paying hundreds of thousands of dollars per year" cuz they have a benevolent agenda and are yer friend? Nonsense. They wanna front row seat for when the Linux frog reaches the proper"profit" temperature. ;)
kikinovak

Jan 29, 2016
3:53 PM EDT
Well, that's the beauty of Free Software and the GPL. As soon as someone tries to get a grip of a part of the Linux ecosystem, watch what happens. OpenOffice becomes LibreOffice. MySQL becomes MariaDB.
notbob

Jan 29, 2016
4:26 PM EDT
What did systemd become?
nmset

Jan 29, 2016
4:30 PM EDT
But OpenOffice/LibreOffice and MySQL/MariaDB are multi-platform projects, not Linux specific. Big projects can't survive without corporate money. The Document Foundation is partly financed by private companies according to Wikipedia. Forks are still dependant on big money, and the financial contributors won't forget to tighten their grip when big profits are in sight. You're both right.
jdixon

Jan 29, 2016
4:33 PM EDT
> What did systemd become?

Windows ME?
notbob

Jan 29, 2016
5:11 PM EDT
> Big projects can't survive without corporate money.

When I started using Linux, there were no "big projects" and Linux was doing jes fine, as I recall.

"Big projects" are for the benefit of big corporations! Duh. Systemd benefits me in no way. Likewise, MySQL. Granted, I'm no IT guru or secretarial aid, but I got along jes fine using Linux before all those "big projects" came along.

In fact, I remember a time when even some private companies rejected Word docs. It was right after Windows moved on from W98. They updated their Office Suite to something-or-other and Word docs were not backward compatible. I was told by more than one temp agency, they would not accept .doc resumes cuz they had not upgraded their W98 boxes to W2K and couldn't read the newer .doc files. They had zero problems with my .txt file resumes and gladly accepted them. A .txt file can be read by several standard Windows applications.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!