Wasn't Tempest a classic arcade game?

Story: Tempest, a good looking pirate ship combat game looks like it's coming to LinuxTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
flufferbeer

Feb 13, 2016
3:08 AM EDT
IIRC from way back over 30yrs ago, some of us used to play ANOTHER game called Tempest. In that Tempest game, we would use a moving claw-shaped shooter to knock down aliens moving from the center of a circle outwards along radial lines.

THAT 1980's Tempest game came before the 1st linux kernel, and even BEFORE M$ DOS OS version 3.0. I'm wondering if there are any easy ways to get that old arcade Tempest game running again in modern i686 and amd64 Linux distros??

EDIT: Someone just responded mentioning the Multiple Arcade Machine Emultr (MAME) for Linux. To use Tempest and other classic arcades under MAME, it requires going thru the additional hoops of getting+running the arcades ROM and disk data......maybe not so easy.

2c
seatex

Feb 13, 2016
10:42 AM EDT
I loved Tempest. I miss those classic arcade games.
cybertao

Feb 13, 2016
5:39 PM EDT
Jeff Minter made Tempest 2000 on the Atari Jaguar, Space Giraffe for the Xbox 360 and Windows, and TxK for the PSP Vita.

There's probably 1001 clones lurking in the wilderness of the Internet.
arm

Feb 13, 2016
8:21 PM EDT
MAME roms are easy to find. Took one quick google search to locate the 24kb Tempest rom.

Theres not really any 'additional hoops', it is simple a matter of dropping the rom files in the 'rom' directory that is setup in your MAME config. The only games that require disk data are later games that actually utilized a hard disk and laserdisc games.

You can even find people who provide 'rom burner services' that will burn the entire set for you if you send them DVDs, I used one when I hadn't kept my set current for several years and the collection had grown larger than what my then shitty bandwidth allocation would allow. As it stands now the ROMs themselves weigh in at around 50GiB and the CHDs (hard drives and laserdiscs) are a couple of hundred gigs.

I would recommend a good frontend for MAME on linux, but my main emulation box has been windows for many years just because WinAUE is simply the best Amiga emulator available (I still do a lot of coding for the amiga), although this could change soon as FSAUE seems to be starting to catch up.
CFWhitman

Feb 17, 2016
5:57 PM EDT
I have a Jaguar that still works fine and Tempest 2000. The music and sound effects in the Jaguar version do a lot toward making it a classic. I can still hear "Superzapper Recharge," "Yes.....yes.....yes....yes....yes...yes..yes.yes.yes!" "One up!" etc. going though my head just by seeing mention of Tempest 2000.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!