say what now?

Story: Red Hat's open source success story built on killing complexity in ITTotal Replies: 4
Author Content

Apr 10, 2016
2:51 PM EDT
Given that a number of RH employees are directly involved in cranking up the complexity of Linux user space, that claim sounds hollow (if not downright fraudulent).
dotmatrix

Apr 10, 2016
9:45 PM EDT
I think the message of the article is not that RH has made the software less complex to use, rather RH has been raking in the dough by selling its services to manage the complexity of running GNU/Linux.

I do have a problem with the article implying that GNU/Linux is somehow more complex than other server OS options. Meaning it's an OS with a bunch of applications to manage and running GNU/Linux is no more complex than running Microsoft Server. However, while you can pay for a service contract with Microsoft to manage the complexity of Microsoft products, there is no GNU/Linux to contact for a GNU/Linux service contract. Red Hat provides those support services and is one company among several, but is a rather popular one.

I find it funny that the author calls AWS a 'new RH' ... it made me think of "The Three Amigos":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoZ_4nNNn9M
mbaehrlxer

Apr 11, 2016
4:12 PM EDT
Quoting:running GNU/Linux is no more complex than running Microsoft Server

sure, but why would you want to run microsoft server?

i don't think the implication is that GNU/Linux would be more complex, but rather, as we all here believe (or know) Linux to be more stable and reliable for server use, there is simply enough demand for redhat to grow their business.

greetings, eMBee.
Fettoosh

Apr 12, 2016
12:31 AM EDT
The way I see it, after many years of managing VMS, Windows & Linux servers, there is no other reason to use Windows server except for applications that run only on Windows.

Managing Windows cost more because data centers need more servers to run applications, more support personal, less reliable, & more rountine maintenance.

jdixon

Apr 12, 2016
8:30 AM EDT
> ...there is no other reason to use Windows server except for applications that run only on Windows.

Agreed, and they're probably best run as virtual machines. Unfortunately, there are a lot of applications that run only on Windows.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!