But how about the product?

Story: The Reasons Why You Should Think Twice Before Buying OnePlus 3Total Replies: 5
Author Content
penguinist

Jun 10, 2016
7:39 PM EDT
Well it looks like this author had trouble with OnePlus customer service, but how about the product?

I'm not really too interested in hearing about how a phone breaks if you drop it. That's like a duh.... you break it you get to keep the pieces. I once totally crushed a Blackberry (long story) just one month after the warranty expired. I did get to keep the pieces, that's the way it works.

I'd rather hear about the features, If you look at the specs on that phone they look incredible. I was thinking about picking up a "3" when they become available next week. After reading this article I'd say that I'm not discouraged from going ahead as planned.

Anyone have another point of view?
seatex

Jun 10, 2016
7:51 PM EDT
I have a $15 LG flip-phone, and a second as a spare. And I pay $30 month for 1500 minutes and texting. That's my solution.
dotmatrix

Jun 10, 2016
8:08 PM EDT
I don't have a cell phone, smart phone, or any of that stuff.

It's amazing.

My wife gets angry sometimes... but I don't need to hear it until I get back from wherever I went.

Somehow, life still happens without a constant communication and tracking device attached to me.
mbaehrlxer

Jun 11, 2016
8:41 PM EDT
the waranty did not expire, bumping the phone against a hard surface (a 20 cm drop) voided the warranty. the phone didn't break from the drop, it got a scratch. it sounds to me like they were just finding an excuse to not honor the warranty for stuff that was actually broken that had nothing to do with the drop.

dotmatrix: i envy you for being able to get around without a mobile communication device.

greetings, eMBee.
penguinist

Jun 12, 2016
8:26 PM EDT
The main thing with the "3" that is a real motivator for me is that it shoots 2160p videos though a high quality lens.

I'm just now going through an upgrade of our entertainment center to 4K. The odroid-c2 is ready to replace the RPi in the role of media center, and HDMI 2.0 with 60Hz is now readily available in the 4K TV offerings, and the prices are on the decline, so the time seems right to make the jump.

Being able to have a 4K video camera in my pocket then makes a lot of sense. That, plus the company has been working closely with Ubuntu and the prospects of an Ubuntu phone on the OnePlus is a realistic probability although one that is off somewhere in the future.

The "3" is supposed to go on sale this week, and I'm planning to get one in my hands. I'll let you all know how it works out.
penguinist

Jun 14, 2016
9:39 PM EDT
Well I did it. The 3 was announced today and I just finished putting in my order for one. It's promised to ship out by June 22. I'll drop some impressions here when it comes in.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!