Been using the Mint 18 Beta since release

Story: Linux Mint 18 Beta Released And Running Without Any IssuesTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
seatex

Jun 11, 2016
9:13 AM EDT
Mint 18 Beta is NICE! Been running like a champ on my secondary laptop, a Lenovo N500 with Intel Pentium T3400 @ 2.16GHz, 4GB memory and 500GB HD. Also running great on a Dell Inspiron desktop with Pentium G3220 and an HP Pavilion desktop with Core i3-4130. Cinnamon 3.x is running swell on all these systems with only integrated Intel graphics.
Koriel

Jun 14, 2016
8:40 PM EDT
I using it as well, finally made the switch to Cinnamon on Mint 18 from Linux Mint 17.3 XFCE.

I have been waiting for Cinnamon to get to a stage where it runs great and stable on my old decrepit PC (Athlon X2, nForce 4 S939) and 3.0 now meets that criteria in spades took em long enough been waiting since about 1.6 or something but they certainly delivered with this release.

Although the beta gave me one problem that I easily fixed, could not do Windows share browsing in Nemo out of the box but I have had this one before on various distro's and just added

name resolve order = bcast host

to my smb.conf and then

sudo service smbd restart

and all was good.

I did think it was odd though since 17.3 never gave me any trouble but it's beta it gets a pass :)

Listening to my Christopher Franke, Babylon 5 CD (B5 fanboi) and the appindicator support for Clementine is lovely, very nicely integrated certainly way better than the XFCE implementation.

All in all Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon beta is a joy to use and apart from the one minor issue I'm a very happy camper.

seatex

Jun 14, 2016
8:48 PM EDT
And I'm really impressed with the low memory footprint of Mint with Cinnamon - probably the lowest of any full featured DE I've tried. It really doesn't use much (if anymore) memory than the MATE or XFCE versions.
Koriel

Jun 14, 2016
9:26 PM EDT
It uses about 70 - 80 mb more than my xfce install at a cold start which I think is very good considering what you get in return and it really is a pleasure to use and very responsive on what is a very old PC circa 2004-2005 with only 4GB of sdram.
seatex

Jun 14, 2016
10:24 PM EDT
Koriel - if you want to use all that 4GB of memory without the system swapping to the HD over 2GB, do this...

Decrease the swap use (important)

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/mint-cinn...
Koriel

Jun 15, 2016
12:56 PM EDT
Yeh I have my swappiness at 10 already, need it for running VMWare which can take me up to 3GB of use on occasion.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!