AntiVirus Companies

Story: The Windows ZealotTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
maxxedout

Jul 05, 2016
9:56 AM EDT
Taking advantage of other people's misery. This should be a crime!

Besides, if the daughter was so smart, why didn't she fix it?
dotmatrix

Jul 05, 2016
11:29 AM EDT
The 'bullying' behavior may be more complicated than the stated 'adult child bullying' a parent and even more complicated than the employment choice as well.

The mother referred to her child as... Always being this way...

So, it's likely that the 'bully' has several personality issues, which is not uncommon among us techies, engineers, or scientists. Many of us suffer from Asperger-like disorders [even though everything on that 'side' is now called Autism]. I know I tend to have borderline problems with narcissism, bullying, belittling, and other behaviors from time to time. Sometimes, it takes a significant amount of will power to just shut my trap and move on. It just happens that autistic-spectrum brains typically do well in the world of computers... which is perhaps unfortunate, because we bring our marked 'differences' into 'help' forums.

It's also possible that the 'bully' is simply a self-important nouveau-riche techie who feels threatened by GNU/Linux. I don't know, I wasn't there... However, people are complex.
jdixon

Jul 05, 2016
11:54 AM EDT
> [even though everything on that 'side' is now called Autism]

A crime in and of itself. Autism is a devastating thing, and lumping it in with minor problems such as Asperger's should have resulted in the immediate tarring of feathering of those responsible.
Ridcully

Jul 05, 2016
6:46 PM EDT
I'm 73 and I tend to look at this in a slightly different way: the mother got what she wanted; the daughter got what she deserved. It's a great success story in both directions, even if the mental status of the daughter has been severely prodded. Maybe a little Linux sunshine might get in.

I have little time for closed minds and the daughter displayed precisely that aspect. Ken also showed remarkable tolerance and patience with such a bigoted person. "Bullying" of a parent by a child is despicable behaviour. Even more remarkable to me is the fact that the daughter does have such an utterly closed mind to other options given what we now know is her line of work which, to me, would require a very open mind to many courses of action. Redmond has much to answer for.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!