Web literacy?

Story: Support Public Education and Web Literacy in CaliforniaTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
dotmatrix

Jul 06, 2016
6:40 PM EDT
Quoting:
  • Web literacy — the ability to read, write, and participate online
  • In 2015, 65% of California public schools offered no computer science courses at all. Public schools should do more to expose students to Web literacy

• Emphasis mine...

Web literacy is not computer science.

I don't when it happened, but it seems the term 'computer science' no longer applies to 'science' ...

It may be true that 65% of CA public schools don't offer 'computer science' courses, but what does that have to do with 'web literacy' and 'the ability to read, write, and participate online'??

No one needs to know anything about computer science In order to use online services.

Perhaps this is nitpicking, but I see such over simplified articles and redefined terms as the dumbing down of 'computer science'.
    CFWhitman

Jul 07, 2016
    9:24 AM EDT
    Well, there is a one sided relationship between computer science and Web literacy. That is, if you learn the fundamentals of computer science well, you can build on them to figure out a lot about computers and improve your Web literacy. However, learning Web literacy is not learning computer science and will not help you a lot with learning computer science.

I took computer science in high school, and it had nothing to do with the Web. Of course, it was 1984, and the Web didn't really exist yet. However, my computer science course from 1984 would still be quite relevant today, despite there being some AppleBasic instruction involved at the time, because computer science is based on principles, i.e. science, which is always relevant, and not software programs or Web interfaces, which will become irrelevant in a few years.

So, yes, it is annoying that learning how to use Snapchat or even Microsoft Word is lumped into the category 'computer science' rather than 'computer literacy,' 'Web literacy' or 'computer systems.'
    arm

Jul 07, 2016
    8:56 PM EDT
    Methinks they should concentrate a bit more on the three R's before they worry about web literacy. A good portion of the kids these days could be considered illiterate imbeciles if you take the average forum post or blog comment as the measuring stick. If you want to see the worst of the worst, just check the discussion forum for any reasonably popular game on steam. Seems to me that schools have become glorified baby sitters rather than places of learning these days.

A lack of classic literacy and numeracy skills will come back to bite future generations in the arse one day.
    jdixon

Jul 07, 2016
    10:00 PM EDT
    > Seems to me that schools have become glorified baby sitters rather than places of learning these days.

Oh, it's far worse than that. Their purpose isn't learning or babysitting. It's to produce good little robots who do what they're told by those in authority. http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/916250-education-should-aim-...
    dotmatrix

Jul 09, 2016
    6:41 PM EDT
    I had something to say about Bertrand Russell but I didn't have time to complete the thought.

However, Bertrand Russell was mostly referring to religious instruction... although the quote is valid for any kind of instruction.

Education has always been about indoctrination of the youth. It's unfortunate, but true. It would be better if education, either at home or in public schools, would reward free thought and critical thinking as well as respectful disagreement with authority. But education has not really ever worked that way, whether at home - at private school - at public school - with tutors - or whatever.

Bertrand Russell

Quote from: "Education And Discipline"

The educational machine, throughout Western civilization, is dominated by two ethical theories: that of Christianity, and that of nationalism.

It's a 'habit' of many to lump "nationalism" with "religion" as Bertrand Russell does. However, the two are separate ideas and ideals. As controversial as the current American election is this year, it seems to me that D. Trump represents the divide between the religion-ist and the nationalist. Trump is not particularly religious, but is highly nationalist... Anyway --- sorry for the politics. Feel free to ignore.

*** See? first mistake... The dangers of writing when drinking... brain fog prevails... back to drinking.

And: forgot the link to reference:

http://www.zona-pellucida.com/essay-russel.html

Enjoy! Bertrand Russell is a good one to follow... all quotes taken out of context are bad quotes... even the ones I quote. [me: Guilty]

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!