Hopefully it is just the bootloader

Story: Windows 10 Anniversary Update deleting Linux partitions?Total Replies: 7
Author Content
hughesjr

Aug 07, 2016
7:42 AM EDT
Surely all that is happening is that Windows is replacing the bootloader or a UEFI entry, etc. And not actually deleting the Linux partition(s).

If they are deleting partitions then that is absolutely ridiculous.
penguinist

Aug 07, 2016
7:50 AM EDT
Let's all remember that "Microsoft loves Linux".

If we hear that sound bite enough times maybe someone will believe it.
hughesjr

Aug 07, 2016
8:31 AM EDT
Microsoft loves money.. Everything else (like Linux) is negotiable.
jdixon

Aug 07, 2016
9:55 AM EDT
> Microsoft loves money.

That true of almost all companies. There is the rare exception (Lavabit, for example), but they're the exception that proves the rule.
cmost

Aug 07, 2016
4:43 PM EDT
I can't understand why anybody would willingly use Windows anymore. I made the full and complete switch to Linux and FOSS over twelve years ago but watching today's headlines regarding Windows is scary! Microsoft's behavior regarding its rollout of Windows 10 is appalling! Forced and sneaky upgrades, (changing the upgrade nag window's 'close' button to mean that the upgrade was "accepted" was patently ridiculous.) Then users discovered that by default, Windows 10 enables all sorts of invasive data mining of users personal information and web browsing habits. Now I read that the Anniversary Edition update is force feeding Skype down users' throats and deleting (oh, excuse me, hiding) the fantastic Classic Shell start menu replacement because how dare users go back to using Windows 7's menu that was so familiar and easy to use. Now apparently Microsoft is rendering partitions (that more than likely contain competing operating systems) unusable after upgrading to the Anniversary Edition but yet it is only too happy to incorporate a Linux subsystem because it's own tools aren't powerful or flexible enough that it has to borrow from open source. If Linux can easily recognize other partitions and operating systems and modify its boot loader to add them then Microsoft surely with all of its billions should be able to do the same with Windows. I'm sorry but if you Windows users are truly outraged, then send Microsoft a bill for the cost of your computer. Clearly you don't own your own PC, Microsoft evidently believes that it owns your PC and may therefore tell you what operating systems and software you're permitted to run on it. I can guarantee you if automakers were this intrusive and controlling with the automobiles that people buy customers would be suing in droves.
dotmatrix

Aug 07, 2016
6:31 PM EDT
@cmost:

I agree with the rant... however...

> I can guarantee you if automakers were this intrusive and controlling with the automobiles that people buy

Automakers are as intrusive and controlling. The 'right to repair' concept is being fought hard by manufacturers of all things... even, automobiles....

I am the unlucky owner of a 2012 Ford Focus. The transmission control module was poorly designed and programmed. The TCM caused many problems and finally one day just gave up and locked the car's ignition out. Ford initially tried to ignore the actual problem and charge for the replacement of many components. Finally there was a service repair bulletin about the TCM along with an extended warranty replacement of the defectively programmed computer.

If the car's control modules were running FOSS, the problems would be noticed and corrected and users could do the reprogramming themselves. However, manufacturers -- even of cars -- have claimed that end-users do not actually own the purchased equipment.

Beyond my own experience... there were several stories awhile ago about John Deere tractors regarding similar software/firmware issues.

All these things fall under the heading of "Right-to-Repair". And the DMCA seems to be the main roadblock.

Manufacturers of all things electronic or incorporating electronic components are tightening down the screws and locking out all changes. Hopefully, this changes and soon... because it's not going to be fun to have the roads full of proprietary programmed self-driving vehicles careening into one another [aka Tesla]... and other such avoidable disaster scenarios.
seatex

Aug 07, 2016
6:32 PM EDT
On the one Windows PC I manage, a Lenovo ThinkCentre Core i5-3470, the optical drive (DVD Reader Writer) is not even recognized by Windows 10.
flufferbeer

Aug 07, 2016
6:48 PM EDT
@cmost

>> I can't understand why anybody would willingly use Windows anymore. I made the full and complete switch to Linux and FOSS over twelve years ago but watching today's headlines regarding Windows is scary! Microsoft's behavior regarding its rollout of Windows 10 is appalling! Forced and sneaky upgrades.....

Hear hear!

Can anyone else think of good enough reasons to WILLINGLY use Losedoze 10?? Seems to me that with wine, Steam gaming, crossover apps, 90percent+ identical-to-Losedoze F/OSS apps and OTHER new F/OSS projects (e.g., on GitHub), there is MUCH LESS justification to get stuck with choossing "that" M$ OS!

2c

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!