Please don't use the word "boxen"

Story: Windows 10 Anniversary Update is borking boxen everywhereTotal Replies: 12
Author Content
Steven_Rosenber

Aug 08, 2016
12:14 PM EDT
Just don't ...
jdixon

Aug 08, 2016
12:22 PM EDT
It's the Register. What can you do? You know how those blokes are.
Steven_Rosenber

Aug 08, 2016
12:46 PM EDT
Worse than writing it is saying it out loud.
penguinist

Aug 08, 2016
1:02 PM EDT
The word boxen is German for boxes, but I never was fond of mixing languages in the same sentence.

That's just not schoen. :)
gus3

Aug 08, 2016
1:42 PM EDT
You're not simpático with that?
jdixon

Aug 08, 2016
1:43 PM EDT
> The word boxen is German for boxes, but I never was fond of mixing languages in the same sentence.

Well, English is a Germanic language.
penguinist

Aug 08, 2016
2:30 PM EDT
Quoting:You're not simpático with that?

Genau, gus3, gut gesagt!
seatex

Aug 10, 2016
6:32 PM EDT
Well, I actually like the word "boxen" and have even used it occasionally to describe PC farms.
cr

Aug 10, 2016
9:25 PM EDT
> The word boxen is German for boxes, but I never was fond of mixing languages in the same sentence.

Not to worry.

"“Not only does the English Language borrow words from other languages, it sometimes chases them down dark alleys, hits them over the head, and goes through their pockets”" -- Eddy Peters

If it's not English yet, it will be shortly.

edit: Yes, yes, there's another, probably more authentic source, but its language probably breaks TOS or at least offends delicate sensibilities... http://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question41640.html
flufferbeer

Aug 10, 2016
10:20 PM EDT
@seatex,

> Well, I actually like the word "boxen" and have even used it occasionally to describe PC farms.

I guess that's the SJWs' typical meaning of "PC" instead of for Personal Computer, right? Maybe one of those double meanings ;)

-fb
seatex

Aug 10, 2016
10:52 PM EDT
> flufferbeer

I actually like that double-meaning angle.

Several years ago (about 10 actually), I was heavy into BOINC crunching, and we used to refer to our crunchers as boxen, since we all had several PCs crunching BOINC projects all the time. But, honestly, I haven't used the term much since then.
kikinovak

Aug 11, 2016
5:08 PM EDT
Das boxen is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und corkenpoppen mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch das blinkenlights!!!
BernardSwiss

Aug 11, 2016
10:55 PM EDT
I was wondering if anyone would mention the blinkenlights.

(I would have mentioned the Blinkenlights, but was having trouble remembering exactly what they were called -- by the time I was ready to try out a BeOS box, BeOS was already essentially gone, just another decal beneath Microsoft's dirty-tricks cockpit window, and pretty much a historical oddity.)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!