OK

Story: Insecure about Being UnsecureTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
dotmatrix

Jan 02, 2017
11:45 PM EDT
Linux Journal wrote: We're not far from a time when a hacker could infiltrate our toaster to ruin breakfast.

I don't plan on toasting anything unless I can reach it fast enough to butter it and have the delicious fat melt and absorb into the toasted product. So, my toasters will remain purely resistive heating elements arranged in vertically aligned rows and timed with a simple circuit.

And if the market for 'dumb' toasters becomes too small for vendors to support, I'll use my fire pit and enjoy the stars and meteorite showers.
seatex

Jan 03, 2017
6:56 AM EDT
I agree, dotmatrix, and I will also not be connecting my appliances to the net.
gus3

Jan 03, 2017
2:54 PM EDT
Quoting:I went to my first computer conference at the New York Hilton about 20 years ago. When somebody there predicted the market for microprocessors would eventually be in the millions, someone else said, "Where are they all going to go? It's not like you need a computer in every doorknob!"

Years later, I went back to the same hotel. I noticed the room keys had been replaced by electronic cards you slide into slots in the doors.

There was a computer in every doorknob.

-- Danny Hillis
jdixon

Jan 03, 2017
4:17 PM EDT
> There was a computer in every doorknob.

And now when there's a power failure you have to worry about being locked out of your room with no way to open it.
dotmatrix

Jan 03, 2017
5:02 PM EDT
> There was a computer in every doorknob.

It's more than that...

The better hotel cards are actually smart cards. Those contain a processor and an OS as well.

>And now when there's a power failure you have to worry about being locked out of your room with no way to open it.

If I were designing the system, I would include a battery or generator powered backup source. And I would default the doors to open if there is no power. My guess is, the real systems have been designed around a total power failure.
jdixon

Jan 03, 2017
5:06 PM EDT
> My guess is, the real systems have been designed around a total power failure.

I have personally at least one that wasn't. Why do you think I used that example? Now that was several years ago, and hopefully they've learned their lessons.
dotmatrix

Jan 03, 2017
5:16 PM EDT
>I have personally at least one that wasn't.

I was thinking that the locked doors would present a safety hazard. However, on second thought, the doors would only need to open from the inside... so.. maybe default to locked is the safer option, inconvenient but safer for those in a room as well as the possessions contained therein.
NoDough

Jan 03, 2017
6:44 PM EDT
seatex wrote:I agree, dotmatrix, and I will also not be connecting my appliances to the net.

That's what you think.

http://blog.electricitybid.com/index.php/2013/07/19/smart-me...
dotmatrix

Jan 03, 2017
7:53 PM EDT
Smart Meters and State Control over personal electricity use:

Hopefully most of these totalitarian ideas will be thoroughly trashed by the incoming administration.

Let the wailing and gnashing of Big Green teeth begin!

Little Green can stay. Little Green is about good sensible and cost effective stewardship of natural resources. I like that.

seatex

Jan 03, 2017
10:05 PM EDT
Quoting:That's what you think.

http://blog.electricitybid.com/index.php/2013/07/19/smart-me...

I do not have a smart meter - was able to opt out here in Texas.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!