Stick to software, Linus

Story: Linux Foundation Executive Directors Statement on Immigration BanTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
jdixon

Jan 30, 2017
9:11 AM EDT
Most Americans have still never heard of you, and even those who have don't care what you think about their politics.
gus3

Jan 30, 2017
9:31 AM EDT
The statement came from Jim Zemlin, not Linus. Also, he doesn't refer to "we," as in the Foundation members or directors, but "I," as in Jim Zemlin.
dotmatrix

Jan 30, 2017
10:02 AM EDT
Under the current Executive Orders... Linus Torvalds would still have zero problems legally immigrating from Finland.

Thus, the argument presented by Mr. Jim Zemlin is the very picture of a 'straw man' argument.
cabreh

Jan 30, 2017
11:09 AM EDT
@dotmatrix and @jdixon

Have either of you actually read the post. It doesn't sound like it.
dotmatrix

Jan 30, 2017
11:29 AM EDT
@cabreh:

I read the very short post.

It contains references to holding international open source conferences on US soil.

--The EOs are 90 days long, so any worries about long term 'open source hub' are part of a 'Straw man' argument.

The post contains references to the legal immigration of Linus Torvalds from Finland.

--Finland is one of a few countries which have a 90 day Visa Wavier. Not only could Linus hop over the pond easily today under the EOs, but he could do so with minimal effort or documentation. Thus, the reference to Linus is a "Straw man."

Finally the post contains this quote:

Jim Zemlin wrote:The Administration's policy on immigration restrictions is antithetical to the values of openness and community that have enabled open source to succeed. I oppose the immigration ban.

And that's fine. He disagrees... that's fine. The rest of the post is mostly an immaterial straw man.

However, in reference to the only valid argument in the Zemlin post, the USA is a sovereign nation and not -for most purposes- an open community. So, while someone may wish to extend one's personal sense of 'community' into one's country... generally speaking that personal sense of 'community' does not scale well across national borders where laws and values are inconsistent.
AwesomeTux

Jan 30, 2017
12:31 PM EDT
Why was this article not posted when Obama passed the "Visa Waiver Program Improvement and Terrorist Travel Prevention Act"? That law serves as the basis of Trump's recent Executive Order, including the list of seven Muslim-majority countries, and was effectively a Muslim ban before Trump's Muslim ban.

Besides the point, this article and this discussion thread is about nothing but politics, which I believe is something that's "not allowed on the site" in the Terms of Service.

* https://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/visa-waive...
dotmatrix

Jan 30, 2017
1:15 PM EDT
>Besides the point, this article and this discussion thread is about nothing but politics, which I believe is something that's "not allowed on the site" in the Terms of Service.

I think it's worthy, but very controversial, topic. There are many aspects of 'immigration reform' that will undoubtedly affect the 'tech' world and FOSS development as well. I'm not sure if the controversy falls into politics or FOSS/OSS business problems... It's unclear if there is a clear demarcation line.
BernardSwiss

Jan 30, 2017
1:44 PM EDT
@cabreh

This is "politics" -- so even people who otherwise think details are crucial, still won't necessarily pay attention to what was actually said or meant, before objecting.
cabreh

Jan 30, 2017
3:59 PM EDT
@BernardSwiss

Yes, I'd say you are right.
jdixon

Jan 30, 2017
6:11 PM EDT
> The statement came from Jim Zemlin, not Linus.

Apparently so. Either I misread it, or the headline changed since I posted.

> Have either of you actually read the post. It doesn't sound like it.

No, I didn't. I merely read the headline. It was a political post, so why would I bother?

> This is "politics" -- so even people who otherwise think details are crucial,

That was my point.

> There are many aspects of 'immigration reform' that will undoubtedly affect the 'tech' world and FOSS development as well.

Yep. If the H-1B visa rumors are true, things will get very interesting very quickly.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!