Brave New World

Story: Firefox 52 kills plugins - except Flash - and runs up a red flag for HTTPTotal Replies: 14
Author Content
dotmatrix

Mar 09, 2017
8:22 PM EDT
Well... bye-bye plugins = bye-bye FF.

I was holding on mostly out of lazy attachment to my plugin choices. Now that's over, I can browse Bravely.

https://www.brave.com/
seatex

Mar 09, 2017
11:16 PM EDT
Oh, but you don't need any plugins now that web assembly scripts will run in your browser.

It's much safer for you this way, Mozilla told me so. And besides, what could go wrong with web assembly scripts?
mbaehrlxer

Mar 10, 2017
1:18 AM EDT
won't those webassembly applications have the same limitations as javascript, as opposed to plugins which can control the whole browser?

@dotmatrix: i have been trying brave a while ago (and i still have it installed) but i was kinda missing some FF features in the developer tools.
seatex

Mar 10, 2017
7:25 AM EDT
Quoting:won't those webassembly applications have the same limitations as javascript, as opposed to plugins which can control the whole browser?

That is my concern. And yes, I am missing my plugins as well, dotmatrix,

But "web assembly" does sound more modern and trendy than Java, so Mozilla sees no potential for problems.
dotmatrix

Mar 10, 2017
9:00 AM EDT
@eMBee:

>missing some FF features in the developer tools.

I'm having trouble trying to figure out how to add my x509 client certs...

Things I like so far:
  • Speed and memory footprint
  • Bitcoin wallet for paying websites instead of viewing ads
  • Lots of interesting data in the developer tools
  • Blocks all ads by default

Things I don't like or don't know how to do yet:
  • Missing x509 Client Certs
  • Missing webpg
  • Lacks most configuration options of interface, menus, etc.
However, it's not too shabby for a 0.13 release...

On wasm:

I don't have a problem with new languages or new ways of doing things. But, if they are going to simply abandon the old way... then I might as well just transition to a new browser, since that's what FF is going to be anyway.
jdixon

Mar 10, 2017
9:49 AM EDT
You know, there are days I consider simply using Mosaic and being done with it. A quick search reveals a modern modified version called Mosaic-ck is available for Slackware. I think i"ll give it a try.

The other bare bones alternative seems to be dillo.
dotmatrix

Mar 10, 2017
10:39 AM EDT
>The other bare bones alternative seems to be dillo.

I'm concerned with trackers and ads for the most part. Trackers are an obvious threat to one's anonymity. Ad networks are all infected with malware.

So, Brave's Bitcoin wallet micropayment system is very attractive to me. I think LXer has been running ad free for about year now... I'm not sure if there is a plan to enable micropayments through Brave's system, but I'm definitely in for that plan.
jdixon

Mar 10, 2017
12:38 PM EDT
> I'm not sure if there is a plan to enable micropayments through Brave's system, but I'm definitely in for that plan.

My problem with it is that I simply don't have even $5/month to spare on things like that at the moment, which is their default minimum. :(

From their FAQ:

9. Where does my money go if publishers are not part of this program yet?

The contributions for each user, upon reconciliation, is sent to a bitcoin escrow wallet which is securely managed by Brave Software, Inc. When contributions for an individual publisher are equal to about $100.00 USD (in BTC, of course), an email is sent to both the webmaster of the site and the registered domain owner, and the verification process begins.

21. What happens to my contributions to a site that never verifies their wallet?

After 3 attempts to initiate the verification process with the site owner, the escrow funds for that site will expire after an additional 180 days. At the time of expiration, the money will be redistributed to all sites that have finished the verification process using the combined total Brave user-assigned percentages over the same payment period.
dotmatrix

Mar 10, 2017
12:47 PM EDT
>My problem with it is that I simply don't have even $5/month to spare on things like that at the moment, which is their default minimum.

My understanding is: The Bitcoin wallet payment system is voluntary.

The default settings have the wallet disabled. So, similar to ad support web sites, there will be a paying group and a non-paying group.
CFWhitman

Mar 10, 2017
2:33 PM EDT
Were any of you actually using any plugins other than Flash? I certainly haven't been using any in Linux for ages. I suppose in Windows someone might have Silverlight or Adobe installed. Silverlight might have been installed in my Windows 7 VM at work.

Really, though: Silverlight is Windows only. Firefox has native PDF viewing support, so Adobe isn't really necessary even in Windows. Java has been disabled by default for a while, and I honestly can't remember the last time I used Java in the Web browser. What other NPAPI plugins exist?

Remember that this is only NPAPI plugins, not extensions, not add-ons. They are still there. There are even a couple of things listed in plugins other than Flash that are still there on my Windows VM, one installed by Mozilla (h264 playback) and the other by Google (Widevine for protected video like Netflix), which I'm guessing are not NPAPI based somehow.
dotmatrix

Mar 10, 2017
3:37 PM EDT
I use webpg very frequently. Webpg allows one to easily add PGP signatures to text box submissions.

I also frequently use Disconnect which blocks tracking via things like Facebook's 'Like' button. I imagine, but am not sure yet, that Brave's tracker blocker performs this action.

And then there's the DNSSEC plugin which allows me to ensure that certain domains are actually those they claim to be... and the records have not been tampered with...
CFWhitman

Mar 10, 2017
4:04 PM EDT
Webpg is an extension, and Disconnect and DNSSEC are add-ons. None of those are NPAPI plugins, so they will not be affected.
dotmatrix

Mar 10, 2017
4:46 PM EDT
I was under the impression that webpg uses a NPAPI plugin to connect to gpg.

So... I guess webpg would need to be re-written to connect via a wasm application?
CFWhitman

Mar 10, 2017
5:39 PM EDT
Yes, it looks like webpg uses an NPAPI plugin for supporting the extension, so it is affected (I hadn't realized that; it's not apparent from their Mozilla add-ons page). I'm not sure what the best way for them to update it would be.
jdixon

Mar 10, 2017
6:21 PM EDT
> My understanding is: The Bitcoin wallet payment system is voluntary.

It is, but if you enable payments it wants $5/month. I could maybe arrange for $1/month. If I could manage $5/month it would be going to my current GirlsXBattle addiction.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!