flash ad

Story: How to use constants in PHPTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
dave

Feb 26, 2004
5:39 AM EDT
What's up with that enormous flash ad for the MSN toolbar? I won't be linking to about.com in anymore stories again, that's for sure. :(

dave
runen

Feb 26, 2004
6:07 AM EDT
Why install Flash at all. Besides some lame games, what other than banner ads are Flash used for.. sure some sites require Flash like cocacola.com, but who cares?

If some real-value site depends on the presence of flash on the client machine then they deserve a good spanking if you ask me ;-)
dave

Feb 26, 2004
6:11 AM EDT
I have flash because I do a lot of gardening work online, and many gardening sites have flash for presentations (which is actually quite nice and useful. Flash is excellent for multimedia presentations, which you would find in the gardening world).

Maybe I should setup a different profile with Firefox that has flash, and use it for my gardening site work, and then Firefox sans flash the rest of the time...

maybe...

dave
greensky

Feb 26, 2004
7:38 AM EDT
If you use firebird get that plugin that let's you click to play a flash presentation. I wish that you could do that in Galeon.
dave

Feb 26, 2004
7:53 AM EDT
Which plugin is that?
greensky

Feb 26, 2004
8:11 AM EDT
Flash Click To View http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions/#flashclick
dave

Feb 26, 2004
8:19 AM EDT
Happy happy! I installed it and the flash is gone. Ahh I love Firefox with its extensions. :-)

Thanks for the tip!

dave
beejay54

Feb 26, 2004
8:08 PM EDT
Flash is much more then banner ads and games. Flash is essential. And yeah I must admit I'm a little bias as a multimedia designer. But I feel that it's an excellent platform for those desiring consistency on the web. Granted, some good DHTML will do the trick w/ animation, but somehow I doubt that even the best designers are gearing their raw code to work flawlessly on my linux box. As a designer you are always safe with flash, its small, clean, and code is self contained. You would actually be suprised as to how much of your day to day web digest is done in flash.
jhorner

Feb 27, 2004
6:17 AM EDT
Yes, I agree Dave. Please don't link to about.com again. This single story came in my lxer email newsletter this morning, and I was quite dismayed not only by the flash animation, but also by the lack of interesting content.
dave

Feb 27, 2004
6:19 AM EDT
You won't see it happen again, jhorner. :)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!