Gnome 2.6 + Debian

Story: Review: GNOME 2.6: Two Left Feet?Total Replies: 4
Author Content
mandingo

Jun 03, 2004
9:48 PM EDT
Debian has been slowly merging gnome 2.6 into unstable. no problems here. I must say however, it's hard to tell the difference between 2.4 and 2.6. Not a lot has changed.
nutria

Jun 05, 2004
12:18 AM EDT
You must not use Nautilis. Also, Gnome 2.6 requires GTK 2.4 and it has a better file selection dialog box. But mostly, the changes are under the hood.
mandingo

Jun 05, 2004
11:43 AM EDT
you're very correct, I don't use nautilus =)
drayru

Jun 10, 2004
12:30 PM EDT
Hello, i have recently installed Debian GNU/Linux 3.0r2 at first I had problems with mi graphical environment but, installing XFree 4.4 solved the problem and now I can use my graphical terminal.

The problem is that it looks so ugly. The distro come with Gnome 1.4... I want to update to Gnome 2.6 but i didn't found any useful guide to to this... can you help me please?

It's very important.. thanks a lot.

Carlos Arturo Duran Florez.
andmalc

Jun 11, 2004
6:44 PM EDT
Carlos,

I'd suggest that you read up on package management in Debian before attempting any big changes. The place to go is Chapter 6 of the Reference Manual:

http://www.nl.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-package.en...

While you're at it, look over the Reference Manual to get an idea of what's in it: it's the overall best source of information on managing your Debian system and you'll find most questions are answered here.

Use aptitude as your main package management utility instead of the older dselect or straight apt-get. Synaptic looks nice but it's not half as useful as aptitude.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!