Welcome to the LXer meta forum

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 12
Author Content
dave

Jun 08, 2004
9:14 AM EDT
There may be a need to discuss the website, LXer, so here's a forum in which to do that.

dave
Void_Main

Jun 13, 2004
3:40 PM EDT
Dave, I know this probably isn't what you meant by "a place to discuss the LXer" but here goes. I just have to let you know that I started my boycott of my last remaining Linux news site before you posted your article about it. I was having some serious withdrawals until I ran across your site today totally by accident (just typed in http://www.linuxnews.org blindly out of frustration actually). I must say that so far what I am experiencing can only be described as ecstatic joy (sorry about that). :) How long have you had this site up? It took me a few minutes to get used to the layout but I think I'm getting the hang of it.

Thank you sir! Void
dave

Jun 13, 2004
4:52 PM EDT
Hi Void, thanks for writing and thanks for checking the site out. I hope you enjoy it and please do let me know if I can be of any service to you.

To answer your question: the site is about 6 months old now. Read the "What is LXer" for more information: http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/1/index.html

best, dave
dave

Jun 14, 2004
4:49 AM EDT
By the way, I should add that it is the generosity of Mark Bolzern (formerly of Linux Mall.com fame) that allowed you to find LXer through the linuxnews.org domain.

Mark owns linuxnews.[com|org|net] and he pointed them to my nameservers a few months ago. A nice gesture that I appreciate very much!

dave
Void_Main

Jun 14, 2004
8:05 AM EDT
Ok, thanks go to Mark for getting me to Dave's site and thanks to Dave for the site. Really, thanks guys! :)
osViews

Jun 15, 2004
4:21 PM EDT
Dave,

I to remember when you sold LinuxToday to Internet.com. I read about your concern with the current state of Linux news sites in the What is LXer? in the upper-right hand corner... and I couldn't agree more.

You may or may not remember me, but i was a freequent news link contributor to LT back inthe day. I ran osOpinion.com. Unfortunately, the site was mismanaged by its then parent company (NewsFactor Network). Because they were not adhering to their contractual obligations, so i sued them and got the site (and a little compensation) back. Here's the full story (or at least as much as I can legally tell) if you're interested.

Anyways, I too am rebuilding the site they destroyed much in the same way you are doing with LXer. I admire you for getting back to the roots of the Linux community. I hope our sites grow together.

Please feel free to utilize osViews/osOpinion's open content policy and republish anything on the site that you think might be of interest to your new site's readers.

Thanks for producing yet another great Linux site.

This message was edited Jun 15, 2004 7:22 PM This message was edited Jun 16, 2004 11:32 AM
dave

Jun 15, 2004
6:04 PM EDT
Hi Kelly,

I certainly do remember you well, and I recall your early commitment to Linux news and information. Thanks for stopping by and I hope to serve you (again)!

I'll add OsViews.com to the LXer robot and will start processing the headlines from your site. Thanks for letting me know about it!

Let me know if I can be of service.

dave
bstadil

Jun 16, 2004
9:33 AM EDT
Dave, I noticed a week or so ago that you have allowed me to post stories. I have posted a few, but now the Dupe issue of /. fame is emerging. I posted a story yesterday about Munich only to realize that this had been covered the day before (different news source) Now the same story is popping up again from a third source. Since you are using Baysian filters maybe it's possible to have a short-lived version that tries to catch dupes. What I mean is the filter only maintain say last 2 days of words.
dave

Jun 16, 2004
9:42 AM EDT
Hi bstadil,

I gave editor priviliges to a few folks that I saw posting, and who I thought would be reasonable and prudent with the priviliges. I never told anyone, and you are the first to notice and take advantage of it. :-)

I didn't notice the dup, either, and didn't know it had happened until you mentioned it. A solution is needed, for certain. Let me give it some thought!

best, dave
Void_Main

Jun 16, 2004
9:49 AM EDT
I noticed right off that it was a dup (I really don't have as much free time as it might seem). I don't mind a dup here and there though as sometimes different sources have a different spin.
bstadil

Jun 16, 2004
10:03 AM EDT
I agree with Void that Dupes often add a different angle so deleting them would not be a good solution, however it reflects negative on the site overall I think. Maybe another approach if the short term Bayesian filtering is not doable would be to just mark them as "follow-up" to original with a link. Bjorn
dave

Jun 16, 2004
10:32 AM EDT
I like the followup idea and have been thinking about implementing that very thing. It would be nice to "link" articles together by common threads (this would almost certainly need to be done manually to guarantee quality links) and then you can follow threads of information.

For example, Mozilla releases would be linked together, and so a "See Also" box can appear around any Mozilla-related story, with other stories that are in that theme.

Ditto SCO (groan) or Sun Open Source'ing Java or Solaris. These are threads that a lot of stories are written about, but who wants to glog the entire newswire with all of that?

Dave
tbogart

Jun 18, 2004
5:24 PM EDT
Indeed! Grouping or 'follow-up' is the right way to go for identical stories - though it is more work.