Do you have your Slack on?

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 17
Author Content
cann0n

Jun 20, 2004
11:01 PM EDT
Anyone else here running slackware? If not, it is something to check out!
MESMERIC

Jun 21, 2004
6:23 AM EDT
No but I've just ordered the CD. I am thinking of installing Linux for a friend of mine - he has a very old laptop (266Mhz and 64Mb I think and 1 Gb of space) The greatest challenge will be to make QuickTime work so he can watch http://www.apple.com/trailers - so I dunno if I go for Wine (which crashes a lot) or Mplayer/Xine Plugin (which can be often messy: ie no control; refreshing sometimes plays the videos sometimes dont). Then he wants to be able to open Microsoft Office stuff .. OpenOffice might be too heavy - will have to inspect about that too. So with all these constraints maybe Slackware will be better as I will have to save every single RAM bit and clock cycle.
Void_Main

Jun 21, 2004
7:57 AM EDT
I was a slacker back around '93 through '95.
dave

Jun 21, 2004
8:06 AM EDT
Same here. I used Slackware from my Linux beginnings in 1995, and continued until I started working for Red Hat in 1997, when, of course, I had to switch. Never really went back, although always missed its beauty of simplicity.

dave
Void_Main

Jun 21, 2004
8:23 AM EDT
It was Red Hat who also made me switch. Heh heh, well they didn't "make" me switch. I started using SLS, then Slackware came out and I started using it. When Red Hat came out I switched to it, then switched back to Slackware when their next release came out, then back to Red Hat and stayed. I was actually running our entire development shop on Slackware just prior to Red Hat coming out. This message was edited Jun 21, 2004 11:26 AM
professor

Jun 21, 2004
9:41 AM EDT
I was also a slacker.

Never remember why I switched, time to come back? *races to get ready for 9.2* This message was edited Jun 21, 2004 2:17 PM
greensky

Jun 21, 2004
10:07 AM EDT
I don't run Slackware, but I've used Slax before... http://slax.linux-live.org/ It's a really nice live-cd distro.
tbogart

Jun 21, 2004
6:21 PM EDT
I have been meaning to look at it again - also used it as the first 'distribution' of Linux, then switched to RH, now am using SuSE. I just downloaded a pile of Debian CD's meaning to check that out. Guess I should add to the pile. *grin*
Koriel

Aug 02, 2004
11:02 AM EDT
My first distro was Slackware based about 7 years ago, moved on to others RH, Mandrake, Debian or whatever was required by my employer at the time but still use Slackware 9.1 at home.

Its simple and it works. Don't need much more than that.
slippery

Aug 19, 2004
4:33 PM EDT
I have Slackware installed on another partition on my laptop, but SuSE 9.1 is my day to day.
phsolide

Aug 20, 2004
6:02 AM EDT
I just migrated from SuSE 7.3 to Slackware 9.1. I looked for a smaller, less-bloated distro, and Slackware seemed to fit the bill. Took me 20 minutes to get approximately back to where I was wit SuSE 7.3 after installing Slackware 9.1. I just dumped "twm" in favor of "lwm" in my search for less bloat and more speed. Should I ditch the GNU binutils in favor of those assembly-language utils someone has written?
salparadise

Aug 22, 2004
12:44 PM EDT
I've just installed slackware 10, (havent been slack since slackware 9.0 which I tried around the "three months experience with Linux" stage and got nowhere with.) A little over a years exeperince later and it took me an hour to get up and running. I have to admit it's a bit fast, sort of leaves mandrake standing although it's not as lush or laden as mandrake - (i realise that this is the point) One learns how to manipulate menus and wizards in mandrake whereas in slackware one has to get down and dirty with a text editor and one ends up learning more as a result.
Koriel

Aug 24, 2004
1:46 AM EDT
Just upgraded my Slack 9.1 installation to 10, and ran a comparison against a fresh Mandrake 10 install on another partition, sorry Mandrake but i cant believe how slow your distro is compared to Slack especially when launching non-KDE apps such as Firefox and Openoffice. Can't comment how well they run from gnome as i dont use it.

I've no idea why Mandrake is so slow, as their doesn't seem to be an inordinate amount of background tasks/services running or anything chewing up cpu more than normal and both use reiserfs so file performance should be the about the same, the only major difference i know of is the 2.6 kernel used by Mandrake as opposed to 2.4 on Slack, maybe im missing something.

Staying with slackware, hats of to Patrick!
salparadise

Aug 24, 2004
5:46 AM EDT
the mandrake 10.1 beta with the 2.6.8rc2 kernel is the fastest distro I've used thus far. But beta it is, it breaks about 50 deps when upgraded from a full install of mdk10. Constant shutdown hangs and hanging on ALSA shutdown too.

I just need a pc for each distro then I'll be happy.
Anjr00

Oct 21, 2004
6:30 PM EDT
I used to use Slackware 9.1, but I got tired of waiting for Slackware to come out with the updates for software, or compiling everything by myself. So now I only use Fedora Core 2.
salparadise

Oct 21, 2004
10:46 PM EDT
and then there was Ubuntu.
krisum

Oct 22, 2004
9:36 PM EDT
"Then he wants to be able to open Microsoft Office stuff .. OpenOffice might be too heavy - will have to inspect about that too." In my opinion the best option for such a machine would be either textmaker/planmaker (from softmaker) or abiword (without gnome) But a better option would be to increase the RAM to say 192MB, and then openoffice will also run acceptably. FYI, my desktop machine is a primitive 266MHz K6-2, 192M RAM with debian sid. Openoffice takes around 25secs to start initially; if i use the quickstarter then it takes ~15secs additional time in background after login(mostly when i am not doing anything CPU/disk intensive) and 5-10secs to start after that.
mojavelinux

Oct 23, 2004
8:27 AM EDT
> I just need a pc for each distro then I'll be happy.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Finally, a solution to my problem of which distro to pick. I just need to go buy about 10 computers!

You cannot post until you login.