Linux News

Story: Lookout's free search software nowhere to be foundTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
Void_Main

Jul 18, 2004
7:28 AM EDT
I thought this was a "Linux" news site. What on earth does this article have to do with Linux?
dave

Jul 18, 2004
7:48 AM EDT
Slow news day? Microsoft swallows company, removed freebies. Dull but something.

dave
r_a_trip

Jul 18, 2004
8:05 AM EDT
This is a Linux newssite, as such its very normal to see news coverage about Linux' greatest threat and competitor.

MS is increasingly stonewalling Windows against any software that could convince MS customers that third parties can create useful software. Its becoming Draconic closed software against open software.

It seems that gratis software can only survive when GPLed, else MS can pull out their wallet, buy it and make it vanish. Six months later you can get the previously gratis software for "free" just by paying the Microsoft Tax.

So it is Linux related, albeit sideways. It would be nice to see only positive news just involving Linux, but as Linux doesn't exist in a vacuum, we cannot close our eyes to the moves of the other players.

Or do you want to see MS succeeding in outlawing FLOSS and you having to say, I never saw it coming because it looked all rosy on LXer.com. News is news, even the FUD and hostile takeover stuff we don't really want to hear.

What was the proverb again? Keep your friends close, but keep your enemies closer.
Void_Main

Jul 18, 2004
8:12 AM EDT
Was it "free" software (as in no cost) or was it "Free" software (as in must remain open)? I have to assume that it was the former because once software is "Free", it can not be made non-Free. So the point is, I don't care about "no cost" software one bit, especially since this particular no cost software doesn't run on my OS anyway.

Microsoft has been doing this from the beginning of time, nothing has changed. In my world Microsoft becomes less and less relevant every day. This move they made in this story doesn't impact Me (or Linux) one bit, that is unless someone can expand on the incredible lack of content in the actual article. It doesn't really say anything. This message was edited Jul 18, 2004 11:13 AM
chris

Jul 18, 2004
11:01 AM EDT
"What was the proverb again? Keep your friends close, but keep your enemies closer."

Actually it's not a proverb, but a quote from Sun Tzu in "The Art of War"
dave

Jul 18, 2004
1:59 PM EDT
Actually, I would say it does qualify as a proverb.

Dictionary.com defines a proverb simply as "a short pithy saying in frequent and widespread use that expresses a basic truth or practical precept."

Dave
chris

Jul 18, 2004
2:16 PM EDT
Ah well, it's a matter of definitions. :) I was thinking in terms of the Bible, of course, but with your definition I agree. And the 'p' is lowercase in the original post...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!