hmm read it carefully

Story: Linux thrives, but Windows still dominates in serversTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
Glimmung

Jul 21, 2004
12:29 PM EDT
Quote: The independent survey produced by VNU Research in association with Microsoft..

Well that is that out of the way.

This article bears fine reading as a good example of obfuscation. For example how many of these users have a linux server in their company, can't justify the headline without the data? The scewed writing is pretty obvious, again the speciality applications terminology for Linux - which is true in one respect, Linux is the best option for running a computer, and I consider running a computer a speciality funtion.
cjcox

Jul 21, 2004
2:01 PM EDT
I agree... these should come with a warning message: CRAP inside

The fact is that Linux had already won the datacenter and now it making huge inroads into the desktop market as well. The problem with surveys (M$ sponsored or otherwise) is that they don't take into account that M$ pretty much forces you to allocate one server per service, whereas a single Linux box can replace 5 to 10 M$ servers. There's just not a fair comparison. The best thing you can do is ask, "Are you running Linux?"... if the answer is yes, then that's one more datacenter penetrated by Linux. I haven't seen a datacenter in a while where Linux wasn't already deployed and growing in use.

Koriel

Jul 22, 2004
3:22 PM EDT
I wish these articles were flagged "Sponsored by Microsoft" then i can save time by not reading the article and just pressing th "X" not worth reading flag immediately!

And another thing do these people ever consult a dictionary, they actually use the word "independant" in the same sentence as they mention "in association with Microsoft", can someone tell me what part of "independant" im obviously not getting?

Edited for awfull spelling :) This message was edited Jul 23, 2004 1:03 PM

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!