Kubuntu 6.06 LTS Beta has been released together with the Ubuntu beta.
This release includes a preview of the new live installer on the
Kubuntu is a user friendly operating system based on KDE, the K
Desktop Environment. With a predictable release cycle and part of the
Ubuntu project, Kubuntu is the GNU/Linux distribution for everyone.
Kubuntu 6.06 LTS (long-term support) will be the first Kubuntu release
to be supported for three years on the desktop, and five years on the
Download Kubuntu 6.06 LTS Beta
Download Kubuntu 6.06 LTS Beta from the following sites, please use
Bittorrent if possible:
Rest of the World:
The final version of Kubuntu 6.06 LTS is expected to be released in
June. At that time, we will mail pressed Desktop CDs free of charge.
New in Kubuntu 6.06 LTS Beta
Find out more of the new changes in 6.06 at
On the Desktop
* A new graphical installer is available on the live CD, allowing
Kubuntu to be installed quickly and easily to your hard disk
* Faster system startup and login
* A simplified package installer - Add/Remove Programmes
* An update notification from Adept in the system tray when new
packages are available
* X configuration tool in System Settings
* Graphical shutdown process
* Improved support for Oriental languages through Skim
* Language Support tool to setup Kubuntu for different locales
* The latest KDE 3.5.2
* OpenOffice.org 2.0.2
* X.org 7.0
Adventurous users find KDE Network Manager for easy roaming between
wireless networks and Kerry the KDE frontend to the Beagle desktop
search engine. These are not part of the official release but can be
found in the unsupported 'universe' archive.
Installation and Upgrades
* The text-mode installer now runs in a single stage, rebooting
straight into the complete system. This makes it faster,
simpler, and more reliable.
* Kubuntu can now be installed to USB devices, such as removable
hard drives and flash memory, using the text-mode installer.
"Under the hood"
* GCC 4.0.3
* glibc 2.3.6
* Linux 184.108.40.206
* New live CD infrastructure for improved performance, usability and
* Greatly improved infrastructure for automatic hardware detection
* The system PATH is now set in exactly one place, /etc/environment,
for convenient administration.
As always, Kubuntu includes the very best of the 100% Free / Libre
application software world, and each new release incorporates
countless new features and bugfixes from the global development
Feedback and Helping
As a community project we always welcome help. Packagers, testers,
translators and documentation writers are all needed
Please see this wiki page for a list of known problems and to report
any general feedback. Report bugs to Launchpad:
Community support is available on mailing lists, forums and IRC channels:
Find out more about Kubuntu on our website:
To sign up for future announcements, please subscribe to Ubuntu's
very low volume announcement list at:
ubuntu-announce mailing list