not selling out the vision

Story: The Good News, Linux Fans, is Venture Capital Is Harder to FindTotal Replies: 0
Author Content
gus3

Feb 11, 2009
2:13 AM EDT
I had the good fortune to work for a company that never got VC funding. Not that they weren't trying; in 2000, just as the dot-com bubble finally burst, they were looking fast and furious for outside money. It never arrived, and in December all non-executives were laid off.

Several twists and turns in my life later, I got an email from my old boss, saying they had weathered the storms, landed a few lucrative customers, and had a cash flow once again. Would I be interested in coming back?

It was one of the smarter things I've done in my life. Going back to that company a second time paid off handsomely, both in $$$ and in knowledge.

I left later for personal reasons, but I found out before I left that they were about to be bought out by a larger company. The advertising budget, which had been a thorn in our side, was suddenly no longer a concern: the primary product would be integrated with other, more mature products, and introduced to a raft of willing customers; and the purchasing company already had a fantastic system in place to support the new line-up.

I don't know what the purchase price was, and I would want to know only out of academic curiosity. I *do* know that it was a welcome transition for the guys who had held on, through thick and thin, to the idea that they could make a difference.

And someday, within my lifetime, I expect to see their new idea of encrypting every single file become standard practice for those who care about security.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!