missing the link

Story: Utah Court Strikes Blow for Free Speech, Dismisses Trademark and CFAA Claims Against Political ActivistsTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
mbaehrlxer

May 11, 2011
11:32 AM EDT
full story at eff.org

greetings, eMBee.
tuxchick

May 11, 2011
12:10 PM EDT
Fixed, thanks!
skelband

May 11, 2011
1:00 PM EDT
Interesting the way that Koch approached the case.

One would have thought some sort of defamation/libel case would be more appropriate rather than a trademark dispute which is what it seems to have boiled down to.

Although I am not a lawyer so I don't know if that is possible in the US.
BernardSwiss

May 11, 2011
9:57 PM EDT
I can just see it now:

Koch, Inc,/the Koch brothers trying to argue in court, that YFCT, by presenting Koch in a good light (that is, presenting them as publicly announcing that they've finally -- at long last -- stopped the denialism and recognized Climate Change as a fact recognized by overwhelming scientific consensus) is somehow libelling or defaming them.

I'd pay to watch that.
gus3

May 12, 2011
5:34 PM EDT
I would respond to that, but I would certainly get censured for violating the TOS, and maybe even catch some flack in private.

Please, keep it on Linux and Free Software.
azerthoth

May 13, 2011
3:01 PM EDT
+1 gus3, it is difficult at times to restrain oneself.
jdixon

May 13, 2011
3:50 PM EDT
> ...it is difficult at times to restrain oneself.

Please not that in this case, at least, I managed. :)
skelband

May 13, 2011
4:14 PM EDT
The key point is not whether or not you agree with Koch on their views, but whether or not the view attributed to them was actually representative of their view.

I think it is rather disingenuous of organisations to try to put forward their views by misrepresenting the views of others, regardless of the rights and wrongs of the matter. For that reason, I would have liked to see this organisation YFCT get the book thrown at them.

[Bernard: I do wish people would stop categorising the climate debate as those that believe that climate change is happening and those that do not. The debate is rather more complex and subtle than that. Note, that I do not present my own view as this is not the proper place.]

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!