These figures explain the new Windows 7 ad campaign

Story: Windows 7 will dominate by year's end, Gartner saysTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
phsolide

Aug 10, 2011
11:57 AM EDT
I've noticed a Windows 7 ad campaign on Tee Vee where MSFT takes over someone's house, installs a Windows PC store, and then lets the person (usually a wife, or female significant other) shop for a new PC.

The shopper states up front that her old computer is just as good as any new computer, but ends up surprised by all the too-cool-to-be-true features of the new PCs! And ends up with stating that she's a PC running Windows 7.

But if XP still has 46% of the installed base, and Windows 7 at around 25%, Windows 7 isn't competing with anything other than a previous MSFT product. Which explains the commercials. MSFT is trying to convince ordinary people (not gadget freaks or "early adopters) to buy a new PC with Windows 7, to replace their most valiant XP box.
gus3

Aug 10, 2011
12:01 PM EDT
Fine, take their cast-offs and send them to Ken.
smallboxadmin

Aug 10, 2011
12:26 PM EDT
Quoting:But if XP still has 46% of the installed base, and Windows 7 at around 25%, Windows 7 isn't competing with anything other than a previous MSFT product.

So Windows 7 is competing with its largest competitor, Windows XP, while OS X and Linux marketshare stays static (on the desktop). Makes sense.
JaseP

Aug 10, 2011
1:40 PM EDT
Don't believe the hype about Linux market share being static... If it were, M$ wouldn't be on the defensive so much. M$'s own numbers put Linux adoption at about 7%, several years ago. Since then, you've seen nothing but "studies" putting it at 1%. Why such a discrepency??? I just don't believe it...
jdixon

Aug 10, 2011
3:01 PM EDT
First, they're counting machines, not users. The question is how to count multi-boot and virtual machines. I'd argue as counting them as multiple machines, once for each OS.

Google says the installed base of PC's passed 1 billion in 2008 and is in the 1.5 billion range now.

Fedora says they have 32 million unique IP address connecting to their repositories. Canonical estimates 12 million users as of April 2010. Taking those at face value gives us around 44 million Linux machines just with those distributions. I'd guess the rest of the Linux distros total at least as much again, but let's be generous and only add 50%, That give us 66 million. That's over 4% of 1.5 billion.

I'm comfortable with a 5% user base as being halfway accurate.
JaseP

Aug 10, 2011
4:27 PM EDT
Quoting: I'm comfortable with a 5% user base as being halfway accurate.

Me too, especially since I have about 12 computers connecting to one IP address, and 2 to another, mobile hot spot, in my possession. Only one of those runs Windoze... and it only boots when I need t to configure some hardware.

Oh, and there should b consideration of a large number of the Linux machines being counted as Windoze machines,... due to being purchased with Windoze on them. That should help justify the bump from 4% to 5%
BernardSwiss

Aug 10, 2011
7:58 PM EDT
Quoting:Google says the installed base of PC's passed 1 billion in 2008 and is in the 1.5 billion range now.

Fedora says they have 32 million unique IP address connecting to their repositories.

So fedora, by its lonesome self, could account for the entire Linux "market share" presence as reflected in even the Wikimedia stats, even if each access identified by the wikimedia logs as "Linux" in fact represents only one computer?

Very interesting.

Since (I'm sure we can all agree) Wikimedia has no direct or indirect vested interest in distorting the stats about OS client share, the question becomes where does the bias creep in...

(yes, I know that fedora boxes aren't necessarily desktop systems, but that would appear, from these numbers, to be hardly the most significant factor in figuring out why a seemingly reasonable estimate based on browser stats comes out so badly biased).

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!