Avery labels, Linux and LibreOffice

Story: Creating Custom Fancy Address Labels in LibreOfficeTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
Steven_Rosenber

Dec 27, 2011
5:10 PM EDT
Thanks for doing that article, Carla -- I had no idea that LO handled those Avery labels.
kennethh

Dec 27, 2011
6:43 PM EDT
About to read the article.. But, I am considering getting a label maker for cd's envelopes, etc.. Are there any specific brands that I should consider that are known to work with gnu+linux??? Hope that this is not already addressed in the article.

Thanks!
tracyanne

Dec 27, 2011
7:14 PM EDT
I've used Stomper and Avery with no probs, with GLabels on Linux. Also for those interested the Stomper Label software (a Windows exe) run just fine under WINE, so take your pick.
tuxchick

Dec 27, 2011
8:01 PM EDT
Ken, all you need for a dedicated label printer is driver support, and then LibreOffice (and Glabels, a great little app, thanks TA) should have the templates you need. CUPS supports a truckload of label printers.
Steven_Rosenber

Dec 28, 2011
11:02 AM EDT
This is one of those things I'd rather not know how to do ... but I suspect it will come in very, very handy.

I remember generating labels out of some kind of database on an Apple ][ back in the day ...
gus3

Dec 28, 2011
11:50 AM EDT
OOo did a fantastic job on the invitation address labels I had to do last year. The database and mail merge were spot-on for what I needed.
lcafiero

Dec 28, 2011
1:34 PM EDT
Of course, gus3 beat me to it: OOo did a great job with labels and there's no reason that LO doesn't do the same since the proverbial apple doesn't fall far from the tree, so to speak.

Good article, Carla -- if I sent out holiday cards, I'd probably make up those labels and send a card to you in Cowtown! :-)
tuxchick

Dec 28, 2011
6:45 PM EDT
Larry, I am not making this up: there is a classic George Strait song "Big Balls In Cowtown." Which is yet another illustration of the importance of the humble apostrophe.

I'm going to pitch howto mail merge from a database. It's actually pretty sane in LO. Russell Ossendryver, the boss of Worldlabels, is a big FOSS supporter. He sponsored the TuxPaint contest for kids last summer.
lcafiero

Dec 29, 2011
11:01 PM EDT
tuxchick: George Strait? Well, that's one to look up on Spotify . . .

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!