old but relevant story

Story: Gigabyte's ASPM Motherboard Fix: Use WindowsTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
tuxchick

Jun 17, 2012
3:25 PM EDT
It's nice dodge for Microsoft-- "Oh it's not us, it's the hardware vendors!" Right, and my left fanny is made of rainbows and unicorns.

Thanks, Bernard Swiss, for posting this story.
tuxchick

Jun 17, 2012
3:40 PM EDT
No motherboard should ever be OS-dependent. It's a ridiculous concept, and a good retort to the "Oh, Microsoft doens't matter anymore, we won" crowd. Not even close.

I have an ASUS board with ExpressGate, a Linux pre-boot environment, and it has never worked. Why? I am so glad you asked. Because it needs WINDOWS. Yes, that's right. It will not work with anything but Windows. The other two main Linux pre-boot environments, Splashtop and Hyperdrive, suck rocks. It is unlikely that incompetence alone explains how awful they are, and how they never caught on.
Koriel

Jun 17, 2012
3:53 PM EDT
Worse motherboard I ever had was an Abit with Via chipset bought from Scan UK it was replaced 3 times before i put my foot down and told them to change it for the equivalent ASUS which worked great. Every board with exactly the same IDE data corruption problem.

So I was not suprised when I heard Abit had bit the dust.

Can't say Ive ever had a problem running Linux on any MB but then Ive never been concerned about power consumption as they are all desktops.

The one time I did try linux on a laptop was years ago and the experience put me off ever trying it again, display didn't work, power management not a chance was the days of apmd.

Hopefully the situation is a lot better nowadays but i'm too scarred by the whole thing to try again and my wife would be none to pleased with me playing around with her beloved Acer laptop.

@tux Never had a problem with Asus, all my own built systems are Asus as I simply never buy anything else after my Abit debacle. As for ExpressGate, It's disabled in the bios by default on all the Asus boards ive used, I never understood the point of these pre-boot environments anyway.

cmost

Jun 17, 2012
5:49 PM EDT
@ Koriel

As an exclusive user of Linux for the past ten years, my first order of business upon unboxing a new laptop is to format the hard disk and install the Linux distro of my choice (Debian, typically). I can attest that Acer laptops work great with Linux. As for my desktops and server, I always build my own so I have the freedom to research motherboards prior to purchase. My motherboard vendor of choice has been ASUS for years. My video card vendor of choice is nVidia in case anyone is wondering as their drivers are high quality and problem free on Linux. I don't know what's going on in the tech world these days, or whose asleep at the switch over in the Justice department, at least here in the U.S. but I can't believe Microsoft has been getting away with forcing its bloated operating systems onto simply everyone and using dirty tricks to ensure Windows remains dominant in spite of its technical shortcomings and high licensing costs. The impending fiasco with UEFI is just a case in point. Red Hat has chosen to purchase a signed verisign certificate from Microsoft in order to ensure its operating system will boot on UEFI secure boot enabled systems (which if Microsoft gets its way, will be all OEM desktops and laptops going forward.) Other distro providers will be out of luck unless users go into the BIOS themselves to disable secure boot. Thanks to Micorosoft's buggy software, most users will think disabling a security feature in order to install an alternative OS will somehow make them less secure or they'll simply think that any OS that doesn't work with secure boot is inferior. {shakes head}
Koriel

Jun 18, 2012
11:08 AM EDT
@cmost

Pretty much the same here, have been building my own stuff since the early 1990's and using Linux since about 94 (Slackware). My setup is pretty much the same as you and for the same reasons, Asus MB, NVidia graphics combo is tried and tested, I rarely vary it.

I did vary it once and went for a Radeon HD5770 on one occasion again this pretty much scarred me for life and my anti-AMD/ATI on Linux sentiments should be pretty well known by now on Lxer.

Im still going to stay away from the laptop on the grounds that my wife would be none to pleased.

JaseP

Jun 18, 2012
12:22 PM EDT
@cmost,...

Yep. You hit the nail on the head with that post. By the way, M$ was released from their consent decree with the DoJ a while back (about a year ago, I think),... And thereafter? That's when they began pursuing Android device manufacturers with patent suits. They are no longer bound to the requirement of not preventing interoperability with other software on devices they have contracts with the OEMs for... So it's back to business as usual.
CFWhitman

Jun 18, 2012
2:35 PM EDT
I've been running Linux since about 1999. I generally build my own desktops. I usually buy MSI motherboards because they have worked well form me (although the UEFI implementation on my most recent one seems slightly flaky to me). I generally use AMD CPUs because of price/performance ratio concerns. In general I have used NVidia graphics cards, but my most recent purchase was an AMD graphics card because, as expensive as AMD cards are, NVidia ones seem to be even more so at the moment. The only problem I really have with the AMD card is for certain full motion video for which I can't use the OpenGL output I get tearing. If I can play it through Xine or VLC, though, I can switch to the OpenGL output and eliminate tearing. The card seems to work well for games.

My current laptop is an MSI laptop from a couple of years ago with AMD graphics. In general it's the best desktop replacement laptop I've ever had. The only issue I have with it is the same one as with my desktop because of the AMD graphics. It's not bad to work around.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!