Announcing the release of Triance OS 1.0-BETA

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
zariss

Aug 23, 2004
10:48 AM EDT
Announcing the release of Triance OS 1.0-BETA

August 23rd 2004 (The Internet) - After years of researched and development, Triance Development Team proudly announced the first Beta released to the public. The Operating System based product offers variety of open source application bundled up with core system for users that really want the freedom of usage, re-development and cost effective towards the world globalizations era. Deriving from FreeBSD, a proven OS for the stability and excellent performance it is being redeveloped again towards achieving the stability, quality, simplicity and variety for the desktops environment users.

As this is the beta version, users are allowed to download the OS at http://www.trianceware.com upon registrations. The advantage for the pioneer user, they will be given a free access to the Triance Tivity. Triance Tivity is one of the added features that have being designed to gain an extra edge in differentiating it from the competitors.

The BETA version of the TrianceOS operating system is now available as of 23rd August 2004. Triance OS 1.0-BETA is a derivation from world known operating system, FreeBSD version 5.2.1 with the latest patch 9. It is a FIRST beta release for users worldwide.

The TrianceOS 1.0-BETA distribution consists of the full TrianceOS binary releases for 12 different ports category including the X.Org (the new X Window System), and the 175 of TrianceOS Package Collection. Complete source code also available through our website. Registrations are FREE and users are entitled to get the distribution.

About TrianceOS

The TrianceOS operating system is a full-featured, open source, UNIX-like operating system descended from FreeBSD 5.2.1 with patch 9. Currently, TrianceOS runs on Intel i386 (386/486/586/686/Pentium/Pentium Pro/Pentium II/Pentium III/Pentium IV/Xeon/Celeron/Pentium-M/AMD/Cyrix) architectures featuring 1 machine architectures across 12 distinct CPU families, and will be ported to different architecture sooner. The TrianceOS 1.0-BETA release contains complete binary releases only for Intel Architecture.

TrianceOS is a highly integrated system. In addition to its highly portable, high performance kernel and derivation from FreeBSD, TrianceOS features a complete set of user utilities, compilers for several languages, the X Window System, kernel firewall software and numerous other tools build especially on top of GUI (Graphical User Interface), all accompanied by full source code. The TrianceOS Packages Collection contains over 175 pre-compiled open source software binary packages and thousands of softwares available around the world to be compiled sooner.

Currently, Triance OS is free for beta testing. We’ll be glad to have volunteers of beta testers for us to maintain the operating system to the best performance and encourage more users to enhance the OS. Development on TrianceOS

Sysinstall Installation

* Please refer to Installations User Manual to get the ideas of sysinstall system that we have modified. This includes cutting off user installation configurations into less than 6-7 steps as the default steps from FreeBSD will be more than 15.

Default pre-compilations * Core system * Third party packages

System

* Added Auto Mounting Daemon (AMD) for automatically mounting CD/DVD-ROM * Enabling default rc.conf configurations * Enabling splash screen on system startup.

X-Windows System

* Replacement of XFree86 to X.Org X-Windows System in /usr/ports/

xorg-clients (previously XFree86-clients) xorg-libraries (previously XFree86-libraries) xorg-fonts-100dpi (previously XFree86-font100dpi) xorg-fonts-75dpi (previously XFree86-font75dpi) xorg-fonts-cyrillic (previously XFree86-fontCyrillic) xorg-fonts-encodings (previously XFree86-fontEncodings) xorg-fonts-miscbitmaps (previously XFree86-fontDefaultBitmaps) xorg-fonts-truetype (previously XFree86-fontScalable) xorg-fonts-type1 (previously XFree86-fontScalable) xorg-fontserver (previously XFree86-FontServer) xorg-printserver (previously XFree86-PrintServer) xorg-server (previously XFree86-Server) xorg-vfbserver (previously XFree86-VirtualFramebufferServer)

KDE Desktop Manager (Base from KDE 3.2.3)

a) KDELIBS

* Customizing programs path in application menu.

b) KDEBASE

* Added new image file KDE * Edited code for KDM to enabling automatic shutdown

* Disabling some unused default applications for KDEBASE. * Modifications of splash screen on startup * Installing new themes as the default for KDE.

3rd party software packages: * Edited all and enabling auto packages installation/extraction visible on desktop after extractions. Note that, TrianceOS 1.0-BETA includes 175 of software packages and there will be 175 of pkg-plist files to be edited. * Major 3rd party software available: * kdeaccessibility-3.2.3 * openoffice-1.1.1 * linux_base-7.1_7 * wine-20040505 * kdegames-3.2.3 * kdegraphics-3.2.3 * xchat2-2.0.10 * thunderbird-0.7 * kdeutils-3.2.3 * kaffeine-0.4.3b * kdemultimedia-3.2.3 * xmms-esound-1.2.10 * gaim-0.79 * k3b-0.11.9_1 * kdeadmin-3.2.3 * firefox-0.9.1 * kdebase-3.2.3 * kdelibs-3.2.3_1 * xorg-6.7.0 * And some other dependencies and libraries needed for the applications above.

Filesystems:

* Modification on device files system to permit mostly on CD-ROM devices (to be use with K3b)

X-Windows System:

* Based on X.Org 6.7.0 X-Windows System * Enabling automatic X on startup with a default xorg.conf configuration.

Availability:

Triance OS 1.0-BETA supports the i386 architecture and can be installed through ISO CD Files. Distributions for this architecture are available now at:

http://www.trianceware.com

Press Contact:

press@trianceware.com

Support:

http://www.trianceware.com/support.php

Trademarks Notices:

Triance and Triance OS are trademark of Triance Mutiara Industries Sdn Bhd. FreeBSD is a registered trademark of FreeBSD Project. Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds. UNIX is a registered trademark of The Open Group. All other trademarks and copyrights referred to in this announcement are the property of their respective owners.

Void_Main

Aug 23, 2004
11:06 AM EDT
Just curious, what does this have to do with Linux?
zariss

Aug 25, 2004
12:09 PM EDT
This is because it has a linux base emulators and the word linux appear there. 'Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds' means that the name 'LINUX' is a trademark of him.
Void_Main

Aug 25, 2004
12:27 PM EDT
But it's not Linux right? It seems that it is a BSD derivative. Shouldn't this go over on some BSD news site?
zjim

Aug 26, 2004
7:46 AM EDT
Not really free either. Looks like they'll give you a copy if you join their mailing list. No Thanks. Strings-Attached-Software
r_a_trip

Aug 28, 2004
7:02 AM EDT
The BSD people don't seem to get it. We GNU/Linux people want a totally Free as in Speech OS, not a free as in beer OS with the Free as in Speech part attached until the next dictator comes along and forbids Free Speech with a license change.

Triance is nothing but a BSD fork with no inherent advantage above GNU/Linux. Through it's license it's even at a disadvantage. Anyone within Triance can pull a Dawes, if they didn't allready do so.

GNU/Linux emulation, well isn't it an admission that the action is at GNU/Linux and that anything that emulates it, is second grade playing catch-up?
kcreten

Sep 11, 2004
6:23 AM EDT
We; they; them; us. Why are THEY posting on OUR board! Man, THEY just don't get it. WE have a sandbox, and THEY have a sandbox. It just makes plain sense that their sand should dern well stay out of our sand. There are philosophical issues of NOTE here! Don't THEY understand this?

Sometimes, maybe most times, they are us.

Man, as a general operating system junkie, I followed a link here to find out about this exciting FreeBSD distribution, and here I find people with seemingly way more time than I have, usually (on vacation), to sit and gripe.

Zaris sounds ok from the writings above. The rest of you sound like... well, kindly and respectfully, a bunch of nit pickers. What distributions have you guys put together lately, hm? Cat got your tounge?
Void_Main

Sep 13, 2004
8:34 AM EDT
That's fine if you are on a "general operating system junkie" news site but that is not what this is. This is a Linux news site. FreeBSD != Linux. And in case you were wondering I had no choice but to put together my own Linux distributions when I started using Linux because there were no Linux distributions.
r_a_trip

Nov 05, 2004
3:14 AM EDT
@kcreten

Don't mention a weak license (BSDL) to a GNU/Linux using audience. We don't like licenses that do not protect Freedom. Freedom needs to have teeth, otherwise Freedom just becomes an abstract word in a dictionary.

Us, them, they may very well be us, but not when it comes down to the GPL. When it's about the GPL, they and them are very much NOT us.
TxtEdMacs

Nov 05, 2004
6:46 AM EDT
Mention of BSD per se or a BSD derivative is perfectly valid for this site! There is much to admire in the BSD sphere. Indeed, for a considerable time it was the stronger OS in the so called enterprise space. So do not disparage BSD.

First, my problem with this post is that it reads like a commercial flak's blurb. That is, it repeatedly cites their origins in BSD but seems to have no regard for the value of the project they cherry picked. Did anyone notice any indication this outfit will give anything back to any parties other than share holders. Secondly, with all the claims for their superior product why have I seen zero mention by independent sources here or elsewhere of its pending release or superior quality? Moreover, why has it been essentially invisible despite its announced beta as of the 24th of August? In Google, I am seeing only a listing of seemingly self announcements of its impending/actual release. If it has only a fraction of the quality claimed, why the seeming, universal disinterest?

I would suggest: with your apparent commercial roots and the inferred disinterest in sharing your even some of your great code - go to one of the Windows commercial publications and announce your presence and claim you are the successor to Linux. I am sure you could get some free publicity that way. Moreover, there would be no end of story spinners who would tout your cause and perhaps inflate your share price. Look, SCO is winding down with any near final action court action should remove them completely from the story feeds. This is your chance, step in and take over for SCO that is your destiny! [Oh, by the way - observe closely what happens to them.]

One more point - where do you think your code and features compares to AT&T's Plan 9? This latter has been GPL'ed, but it now appears too late to really gather critical mass. Make sure that you also note your superiority to that, all BSD distributions as well as Linux. I am sure that will raise your credibility quotation even further.

You cannot post until you login.