Untrue... Learn the Facts first

Story: The Real Sun versus Red Hat StoryTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
solca

Oct 08, 2004
8:34 AM EDT
1. Sun is a great company with great people. 2. RedHat is another great company (not in size) with great people too. 3. Sun is losing market share. 4. Linux gets popular thanks to a great RedHat campain. 5. When people thinks in Linux they get RedHat. 6. Many like me prefer Debian or another distro. but corporate ppl prefers RedHat. 7. RedHat has a killer product: RedHat Advanced Server. 8. RedHat product runs great on any x86 hw. 8a. Linux (debian, others) runs great on small/medium sparc hw. 9. Solaris runs great on Sparc hw. 10. Solaris sucks on x86 hw and small Sparcs. 11. Customers switching in mass to x86-{32,64} for new deployments. 12. Sun grow up and realize the x86 thing, so new strategy is deliver for x86/linux too. 13. Sun execs sucks! they talk bullshit about Linux but they rely on it for the new strategy. 14. OpenSource ppl don't like/trust Sun because of crappy execs with big mouths. 15. Corporate decide on facts. 16. People (regardless corporate or open source) don't like BS in journalism like your private war with Colony.

I am not affiliated with RedHat nor use that distro, I am not affiliated with Colony and probably have never read a word from him, I don't care. Although I run sparc hardware (with debian of course :), I don't like Sun BS nor Sun journalism like this. This message was edited Oct 8, 2004 7:30 PM
tadelste

Oct 08, 2004
9:46 AM EDT
You're entitled to your point of view where it's a debatable issue. I just don't consider it a private war. I also mentioned Dan Rather and you didn't consider that a private war. My feelings about Dan Rather are much stronger. The point of mentioning Colony has to do with "disinformation".

I don't take issue with a lot of your points as your perception is your reality.

If the best argument you can present is slinging insults, then it doesn't further the discussion.

TxtEdMacs

Oct 08, 2004
3:53 PM EDT
solac: item 3. They may be losing market share, but loosing means what? That their market share wandered off somewhere?

tadelste: perhaps if you kept your focus and did not bring Rather into this discussion your arguments would appear a bit more cogent. However, your statement that RedHat could not support you well enough to support a consulting project carries weight (you made this point on another thread). Where I wonder is perhaps due to their current size and existing sales base. Meaning they cannot support all potential vendors. From what I saw over a year ago they were already busy with large, existing clients.
solca

Oct 08, 2004
4:44 PM EDT
TxtEdMacs: Yea is losing, now is corrected. Thank you.

tadelste: No, you never point the facts, you just made opinions. Honestly nobody buys that Sun is in good shape and RedHat is the devil. Recently I received a bunch of Sun execs for my area (Central America), belive me, they are in bad bad shape. They pretend to be "Linux friendly" but their real intentions show up when Solaris and SunONE surface in the discusion table. One thing I really like about Sun is JDS and OpenOffice. Why Sun don't forget Solaris and fully support Linux?, they have the muscle (intellectually and politically) to do the right thing and after that, belive me, RedHat will be sand in the ocean, at the very very bottom of the market.
tadelste

Oct 12, 2004
11:41 AM EDT
Solca:

The facts in the article are verified and require no defense. Perhaps if you read the article, you would have known that. Speculation as to the forecast, are identified as such.

If we are to question facts, your list presents an interesting set of assumptions backed by only your experience and unexamined assertions.

Also, maybe you should write your own articles, read them and forget about other people's work. Ultimately that's what you're saying. And then there's your other advice. Worthless, self serving and rude.

cogent: A term used in evaluating arguments. An argument is cogent if and only if both of the following are true: The premises provide good grounds for accepting the conclusion. The premises are all either obviously true, extremely plausible, or antecedently accepted by those who take the position that is contrary to the argument's conclusion. Conventional Ethical Relativism -- A specific type of ethical relativism. It holds that the moral conventions of a culture determine what it is right and wrong for the members of that culture to do.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!