I switched

Story: Eclipse Gaining TractionTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
pdrap

Oct 15, 2004
6:07 PM EDT
I've been a hard core vi user, command line bigot, and makefile lover since 1996. I switched to Eclipse for my C++, Java, and Python programming because it's really THAT good. Plus, I get to keep my makefiles. If you haven't tried it, you should.
techieMoe

Oct 18, 2004
5:05 AM EDT
I use Eclipse at work. The powers that be seem to like it quite a bit (as do I).
bstadil

Oct 18, 2004
8:31 AM EDT
TechieMoe what did your company switch from and why? Would be interesting to see what the 4.000 daily visitors are using. Why not have a LXer poll?
mojavelinux

Oct 18, 2004
7:30 PM EDT
I, too, am a vim user that couldn't resist the power provided by Eclipse. If you think about it, I choose vim because it is extremely powerful and terse (I can do a lot with very few keystrokes). Eclipse promises, and delivers on, all of these goals as well, and more. What vim will never have that Eclipse can offer is context-awareness (refactoring, dependency resolution, hinting).
techieMoe

Oct 19, 2004
12:19 PM EDT
Actually, my company has *always* used IBM Websphere (based on Eclipse) for my particular division, which was only created about 6 years ago. Before that we worked on legacy mainframe code in VSAM and M204, so all our programming was done via terminal.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!