one kid at a time

Story: [Paul Ferris: RANT_MODE=1] This Christmas, give the gift that doesn't keep on taking ...Total Replies: 2
Author Content
dthacker

Dec 16, 2004
10:01 AM EDT
I've informed my family that we will no longer be purchasing Windows. That means the youngest two (currently 14 and 12) will have Linux as long as they and their hardware reside in my sphere of influence(maintenance) The common household computer will soon run linux. Bill is getting kicked out of the house. My daughter was the first to have the tux experience. She got her PC in September, She's figured out how to do anything she couldn't do in Linux with WINE. 3 months., no viruses, no spyware. Very little hand-holding. It's been awesone.

My father and brother-in-law are getting Knoppix and openOffice CD's with their Christmas cards... My sister-in-law uses a Mac, so she's safe.....for now.
peragrin

Dec 16, 2004
11:23 AM EDT
Actually my primary machine now is OS X.

My requirements for a laptop were, ease of use, battery life, and full range of software. and NO windows.

So a Powerbook moved in, the first two items installed were the X server, and a good terminal program.

Now my Linux server can run headless, and I don't have to worry about starting VNC, or other remote desktop stuff.

Now to get rid of those last few windows only games.
tuxchick

Dec 16, 2004
10:06 PM EDT
weehaaaa! Best rant of the month! thank you!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!