At least we agree upon your description of Windows.

Story: Linux trying hard to be comsumer-friendlyTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
helios

Jan 09, 2005
9:35 AM EDT
The migration of my company network and desktops to Linux was a practical one as opposed to the pragmatic arguments I hear daily. This is not to say that philosophical arguements of open source vs proprietary software is without merit, it just was not initially involved in my decision. My involvement in games is sadly limited to Tuxracer, which kicks my ass every time I play it and as far as perephrials, my machines have done well with Linux. A nasty variation of bagle hosed my network in August and without a bit of knowledge about Linux, I spent the entire weekend researching and testing it before I did an entire network install. For me, it was the smartest business decision I made in 2004.

It was not my intention to create an inflamatory title to this response. Microsoft Windows allowed a "poison" to be injected into my system on that day and I do not foresee a time when I could trust Microsoft again with my business. Personally, I could not care less if Linux is taken up by the masses or if Microsoft loses a dime of market share. Aside from their abysmal securtiy issues, Windows XP is a work of genius. It allows its users "the luxury of ignorance" while allowing them to do some fairly remarkable things with their computers. Most people don't care why their computer works, they simply want it to do the things they need it to do in a proficient manner. I am no different. However, Windows has cost me money...alot of money, and not just in licensing. Yes, Linux and the open source software that accomanies it has some shortcomings and they have a long way to do to rival Microsoft Windows and the vast array of third-party software that is written for it. Two of those items I find no use for in Linux; a virus scanner and a complex software firewall system. My one Windows machine starts with 4 antivirus and adware programs upon boot. That is not only a waste of resources and time, it should be an embarassment to Microsoft. Add the fact that they are launching a subscription-based AV and adware program soon just tells me that they can skimp on the OS security in order to sell antivirus subscriptions. No thanks Dave. Windows served its purpose for me but now that time is up. I will suffer the less glamorous software and the command line for now. I can turn out the lights and lock the door of my business at 6 PM and know everything will be fine when I return in the morning.

Ken Starks Austin Texas
robT

Jan 09, 2005
10:40 AM EDT
If that author is "tech-savvy," I'm hacker of the year.

"Oh yeah, Linux is getting better, but it still sucks."

What a waste of 5 minutes.
cjcox

Jan 09, 2005
1:43 PM EDT
They all suck... Linux just sucks less :)
devnet

Jan 10, 2005
4:07 AM EDT
what a crock...this guy tries SuSe 9.2 and bases all assumptions for all distros on it...and spends 168 bucks when he could have gotten Mandrake Community or MEPIS which would have found his wireless card. Way to generalize!!!
PaulFerris

Jan 10, 2005
4:52 AM EDT
Yeah, this guy whines about lack of support for a network card -- heck, don't start posting all the crap that new versions of Windows have obsoleted over the years -- starting with Anti-virus and Spyware providers right now.

--FeriCyde
Corriher

Jan 12, 2005
4:02 AM EDT
"It is also generally free from viruses... so far."

So, it is "generally", but not completely free of viruses. I suppose he simply forgot to name any of them, since it is easy to forget their names -- with the sheer number of Linux viruses to remember. Of course, their "cryptic" names make remembering difficult too.

The most revealing quote about him and his shameless bias was:

"I am too used to Windows to bother with anything else."

"Tech-Savvy" -- my ass.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!